• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

No frills beginners luck growing?

Z, don't let the techie growers buffalo you. (No offense guys, but I think I need to speak up.) I've always sprouted my seeds on the windowsill, with only natural sunlight, with good success. Here's a pik of my 2011 garden. Those are Trinidad Scorpion on the left, Aji Limon on the right:

DSCF4375.jpg

hahha...
sorry dude..
first thing i thought was..
DAMN!! this dude name his kids after pepper plants.. haha..
then i realized you were talking about the plants not the kids in the picture. haha..
i think ive been awake to long. lol.

and i still think its crazy how big those got over one season.
some great growing conditions you must have man.

Oh man, I didn't think of that! Funny! :P

Some of the other guys said that to grow super hots or to grow a large garden, that you had to have lights. I emphatically disagree—and I would hate to discourage someone from growing chiles because they got the impression that lights are essential for a large garden and/or super hot chiles.

At least in the Deep South you don't need them, and the O.P. is from Virginia. Here's another pik of my garden from 2011, grown with sunlight only. The tall ones in the back are the same Trinidad Scorpions that my co-workers daughters were standing by in the above photo:

DSCF4270.jpg

sorry dude..
first thing i thought was..
DAMN!! this dude name his kids after pepper plants.. haha..
then i realized you were talking about the plants not the kids in the picture. haha..

lol...was just going to post something along those lines too!

i am growing roughly 4000 plants this year and the vast majority of them are "low-tech". in short, peppers want to grow. i grow produce for a living and they are one of the lowest maintenance, most trouble free crops i grow.

i do start my superhots under lights in a heated enclosure because they don't germinate well without the heat.

Growing peppers is like most things in life, the more you put into them the larger the reward is. The old "reap what you sow" thing.

Man, I wish I could throw the seeds out the bedroom window....like "Jack" did....lol
But up here to get a jump on the long season crop I need to start the plants indoors under the lights. The local nursery's sell greenhouse pepper and tomato plants...but I can to better, it's just a little more involved and then theres the $$$
Dam,... Pepper plants ARE perennials, but won't come back in my Zone.

Greg

Back