• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

No heat from my (so called) Lemon Habaneros

I had about 10 seeds and only 1 came up. It flowered profusely and gave me lots of fruit which I was really happy about, although I was kind of puzzled about the colour. It looked more peach than Lemon to me although the ones pictured are a little paler than others. It's a very pretty colour but I assumed lemon would be a pale yellow. When I came to eat it though there was absolutely no heat whatsoever. At first I thought there might be a minuscule amount of heat but then realised that was coming from the copious quantities of raw garlic we put on our food.

I've tried distressing it, although the orange Habanero in the same tray ends up drooping first and watering that stops me from completely dessicating the Lemon Habanero. As far as I can see there could be a number of possibilities.

1) None of the Lemon Habanero seeds actually germinated and the only one that did was something else, maybe accidentally cross pollinated
2) It may look ripe but actually I need to leave it for longer to turn from pale peach to a lemon colour (whatever that is, I thoughts lemons were bright yellow)
3) My taste buds have been destroyed

I reckon it's 1) but 2) is still a possibility. I am seriously considering taking the plant out after the last fruit is harvested, standing it up against a pole and executing it. Unless anyone has a good idea why I would need a chilli plant that produces absolutely no heat whatsoever? Maybe to bulk out sauces perhaps? Or is there something I am doing wrong?

Do you reckon these look like Lemon Habaneros to you?

DSC07210.jpg

DSC07212.jpg

P.S How do you blind fold a plant?

I can't find the post atm but I remember reading a thread about a growers lemon or yellow habaneros havong no heat!
I will did around some more to try to find it. The point is that other growers have had the same problem. Either the lemon hab produces little to no heat or it needs to be grown more with conditions being right. I suggest researching " lemon habanero" see if other growers say it has no heat. What a bummer huh?!

Edit: Now that I think of it I believe it was peach habanero and not lemon, I was thinking of. I bet your peppers are peach hab and not lemon. It all makes sense now!!!

i've had yellow habanero seeds that ended up orange but they had no heat either. cut back on the water and pick them after the soil has been dry for a few days and i bet they will be hotter. 

Watering could have something to do with it! Good idea. To add onto that temps greatly affect the heat of peppers, maybe his temps are on the low side?

unripe pods still have heat...... if your peppers are not hot and have no aroma I would suggest taking it out and let the other plant grow bigger

megahot said:
I can't find the post atm but I remember reading a thread about a growers lemon or yellow habaneros havong no heat!
I will did around some more to try to find it. The point is that other growers have had the same problem. Either the lemon hab produces little to no heat or it needs to be grown more with conditions being right. I suggest researching " lemon habanero" see if other growers say it has no heat. What a bummer huh?!

Edit: Now that I think of it I believe it was peach habanero and not lemon, I was thinking of. I bet your peppers are peach hab and not lemon. It all makes sense now!!!

Thanks! I've found the post by googling "peach habanero site:thehotpepper.com"

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27646-my-peach-habaneros-have-no-heat/

Some of those Habaneros look slightly darker, but some have exactly the same colour as my ones. The same shape as well. I bought the seeds from an online store.

The orange Habanero plant grown next to it has been hot enough (and the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T on the other side of it certainly was!). I'll try leaving these on the plant for as long as possible as a final resort.

We took several on holiday with us last year and I put 3 into one dish and still couldn't taste any heat.

I certainly haven't been overwatering them and the apartment stays roughly around 28 - 30 degrees all the time. The current heatwave killed off my last white habanero seedling yesterday because I left it outside but luckily more seeds were delivered yesterday.

Skinty said:
Thanks! I've found the post by googling "peach habanero site:thehotpepper.com"

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27646-my-peach-habaneros-have-no-heat/

Some of those Habaneros look slightly darker, but some have exactly the same colour as my ones. The same shape as well. I bought the seeds from an online store.

The orange Habanero plant grown next to it has been hot enough (and the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T on the other side of it certainly was!). I'll try leaving these on the plant for as long as possible as a final resort.

We took several on holiday with us last year and I put 3 into one dish and still couldn't taste any heat.

I certainly haven't been overwatering them and the apartment stays roughly around 28 - 30 degrees all the time. The current heatwave killed off my last white habanero seedling yesterday because I left it outside but luckily more seeds were delivered yesterday.

The thread that you found is one that I have posted in before. The pods appear very similar to what I grew that turned out to not be a Peach Habanero. Mine almost never had any heat. My Peach HabNot also produced pods that did not have much flavour. In my case though it was more of a problem of somebody upstream incorrectly labelling a peach coloured variety as the Peach Habanero.

that's a very good thing for those loving the Hab taste without heat :)

if you want heat and tatste go for the fatalli they are just great

Hammerfall, I am growing some Fatalli as well and am just waiting for them to ripen. I also have some Devil's tongue to compare them to. I'm really looking forward to trying them.

Back