• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

no idea, multiple things....

First started about a week ago the morning after an oil spray.... its not neem, but similar.... mixed by eye, weaker than my first spray that didnt have any issues, but I guess I didnt shake it well eniugh and basically sprayed everything with about a half gallon of water before I noticed it was just water coming out si everything essentially got a diuble strength mixture towards the end of the spraying.... assuming also that I didnt get a good rinse iut if the sprayer from the diluted coffee and epsom salt mixture the night before, either....

No issues from the coffee/epsom salt feeding.... the next day from the oil spray, dark patches showed up on some of the pepper leaves, mostly where the spray pooled the night before.... tomatoes had minimal burning on new growth, but on the edges closest the branches rather than the tips or pooling areas.... some of the plants have been dropping some leaves since then, some have no issues at all.... but sime have been getting progressively worse.... last night everything got a foliar feeding of seaweed and fish emulsion.... here are some of the worse leaves from earlier today....
20130711_180521.jpg

20130711_180432.jpg

20130711_180422.jpg

looks like chemical damage to me. Pyrethrin, to be specific. Perhaps combined with sunburn.... but chemical burn is my gut feeling. Switch to a self mixing mineral oil spray that attaches to the hose. The plant will recover... that's the good news.

best bet is to stay away from all of that voodoo crap and let your plants grow naturally. Mineral oil when you see white flies or aphids.... fertilize them once a month or so, and.... most importantly..... LET THEM BE!

Funny.... the spray ive used elsewhere in the yard has cyfluthrin as the active ingredient.... the oil spray is 98.8% mineral oil.... no other sprays are used unless maintenance didnt listen to the wife and sprayed back by the garden anyways, but given the number of spiders and ants in the garden, its kikely they didnt since they came to spray for ants and spiders....

The insecticide wasnt sprayed close enough to the plants to splash and it is in its own sprayer.... only my ferts go in the sprayer the oil went in....

And the oil was sprayed as a preemptive strike on aphids as they were swarming some weeds close by before I pulled them and a few random white flies....

The insecticide was used around the house and outside the beds to control some ants marching towards the house....
Ferts are seaweed exrtract, fish emulsion and epsom salt....

Trying to understand, if its bacterial, why is it not isolated to a bed, is hit or miss on neighboring plants and shows up after an oil spray? Treatments?

oil is inconsequential as a preemptive strike. The oil is designed to smother and suffocate existing bugs. It won't keep  future bugs away.

Not sure about the spots, but I bet it had something to do with spraying something.  The second and third pics look like pest damage to me (curled and stunted new growth etc) 

rhm3769 said:
Trying to understand, if its bacterial, why is it not isolated to a bed, is hit or miss on neighboring plants and shows up after an oil spray? Treatments?

Bingo... that's why I'm not thinking bacterial..... Again.... looks chemical. Trust me. I almost killed my jalapenos with chemical treatment. they looked like your the day after treatment.

Yes, interesting as it isn't confined to one bed and is hit or miss.... it doesn't seem to affect the older plants or the youngest, at least to the same extent as the plants in the middle range.... the oldest sprouted about two months ago, the youngest during this sprouted 2 weeks ago, maybe.... it seems those that sprouted closer to two months but not transplanted as soon as the oldest are affected the most....
Clip the leaves or let them drop on their own?
muskymojo said:
Not sure about the spots, but I bet it had something to do with spraying something.  The second and third pics look like pest damage to me (curled and stunted new growth etc) 
The stunted and curled new growth was the main reason for the oil spray.... figured mites from reaserch here....

let them drop on their own..... they will recover and put out plenty of new growth to make up for it. Most importantly, don't panic and try to intervene! Just keep them well watered, but not saturated. And when you water them, make sure you give the leaves a good spray of water. Notice how good your plants look after a good rain? Try to reproduce that a couple of times a week. Then once they start producing back off slowly. Spraying them down and watering only when needed. Over watered pepper plants make bitter, nasty pods. Good luck and keep us posted!

I wish I ciuld say I know, today is the first day ive seen rain since they startes sprouting 2 months ago....

I did containers last year....

Ive been watering abiut 5 days a week, if I do less than that, it seems the surface doesn't absorb the water readily....

Thanks....

rhm3769 said:
The stunted and curled new growth was the main reason for the oil spray.... figured mites from reaserch here....

That's the first thing I thought of too when I looked at the pics. Ignore my question in your tomato thread. 

Good luck!

Sometimes it depends on the plant with bacterial.  I have had plants touching each other and only one showed signs of a bacterial infection.  

rhm3769 said:
I wish I ciuld say I know, today is the first day ive seen rain since they startes sprouting 2 months ago....

I did containers last year....

Ive been watering abiut 5 days a week, if I do less than that, it seems the surface doesn't absorb the water readily....

Thanks....

5 days a week may be indicative of the amount you water them..... when you do water them, soak them down really good, and then let them go until they start showing signs of wilting.

I grow in containers, and II don't water until they look like this:

9178020400_fde859e9ae_b.jpg

Then I give them a thorough soaking.

Back