No-Salt Mash

Well, bad news on the mash scene.

My big jar had to be pitched!

I think I fussed around with it too much and let the "baddies" in. I was hoping that it was still fermenting and gassing enough to take care of whatever oxygen that got in when I fussed with it. When I checked on it today, it had white fuzzy spots on the inside of the top of the jar. So it all went down the garbage disposal...............WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all except for that first little bit I took out..................!!!!!!

Jim Campbell uses a different method for his mash, he chops his pods, adds enough vinegar to cover, heats to 180 degrees and holds at that temp for twenty minutes then seals them hot in
5 gallon buckets. more of a pickling method than fermenting.(Makes dam good sauce tho! ;P )

I just fill sterile quart mason jars with peppers right off the plant, put sterile lids back on promptly, loosen the rings, stick em in the dark in the basement for a few months to a year, come back too see about 85% success rates, then make sauce with the batches that are good to go. No salt, water, or starter. Just peppers and a sterile jar in a cool, dark location :)

I just put em in whole, and in a year end up with this...peppers, "liquid", no mold or spoil, just good ole pepper wine :)
7538680868_a33ca74021.jpg

7538682462_3b9bb410d9.jpg

7503137570_109d2f97b6.jpg

7508636922_0776b2b551.jpg

That bottle was some Bhut. Used some rice vinegar, and a pinch of love or two from the Assam region after the mash was done to make the sauce. Very sweet, Smokey, cheesy, and damn hot. One of my new favorite flavors. I'm guessing the wild yeasts/bacteria have lots to do with that. I don't wash the peppers, just straight from the branch, into the jar, and lid on loosely. :)

I'm not sure how germane this is, but dad use to make a bunch of wines - strawberry, grape, cherry, dandelion. He made a "mash" type of stuff, that is, mashed the mentioned and soaked in water without salt for a week or two. I don't remember him adding anything else, but he may have. Once he had a bunch of concentrated "juice," he added the water, yeast, sugar, etc., and fermented the stuff until it stopped bubbling, then racked it off.

Okay, I'll go hide in my GH now!

Mike

Most likely, you are referring to the "must" stage of the fermentation process, the stage where the pigments are extracted from the must, or the solids left over from mashing your fruit that wine is being made from. The longer this stage lasts, the richer your final color. Interestingly enough, white wine is traditionally made from red grapes that this stage does not occur in.

I just fill sterile quart mason jars with peppers right off the plant, put sterile lids back on promptly, loosen the rings, stick em in the dark in the basement for a few months to a year, come back too see about 85% success rates, then make sauce with the batches that are good to go. No salt, water, or starter. Just peppers and a sterile jar in a cool, dark location :)

I just put em in whole, and in a year end up with this...peppers, "liquid", no mold or spoil, just good ole pepper wine :)
7538680868_a33ca74021.jpg

7538682462_3b9bb410d9.jpg

7503137570_109d2f97b6.jpg

7508636922_0776b2b551.jpg

Continuing from before, the fermentation/must process may explain the awesome color on PepperGuru's sauce.

Back