• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Non-circulating kratky type container

I made this out of a Sam's Club laundry gel pac container and 3" net pot. The plant is a Carbonero. Hopefully I didn't screw it up. I think the container setup is fine, but plant might not have been the best candidate. Here's the video.
FpFYc2Jl.jpg

Looks great- love the Carbonero’s!

Those containers might just be the best I’ve seen yet! The 3-inch cups fit perfectly in the indentation on the lids. I think those just might be better than the Gerber Baby Formula or even the Folgers or other similar containers I’ve seen used. The extra height as opposed to width would really allow some excellent space for root development! 

The dimensions on Amazon for these are 9.9 x 6.5 x 6.3 inches (trying to see how many I might could crunch into either a 2x4, 3x3, or 4x4 foot grow space/tent if I might go the Kratky route… or to try several routes like DWC, etc.) With the added height, they do seem wide enough to be able to stand firm and not topple over with a top heavy plant. 

Could you tell what number the plastic is… #2 or #5 would probably be best as far as sturdiness is concerned. Is the lid well enough fitting and stable enough, as well as the overall strength of the upper portion of the container that you think it would hold the weight of a decent sized plant without caving in? That’s why I ask about the thickness- don’t want the plastic to give way, or even crack due to weight & pressure during a grow! Also… are there any other labels one these, such as on the bottom (manufacturer, other numbers, etc..?) I'd be great to be able to buy such or similar containers in bulk from a supply company rather than re-purposing an empty one. I did think of contacting some local nurseries, day care centers, etc.. to try and get some of the Gerber formula containers- haven’t tried it yet. Have to think outside the box… find the cheapest route, sometimes even free perhaps. One person’s trash is another’s treasure!!

Thanks, Peter! Could call you Peter Starr (I’m sure you’ll get the reference! Lol. You already have the last name ‘S’ initial too!) Fun experiment, hope they do well...

Alchymystic said:
Looks great- love the Carbonero’s!

Those containers might just be the best I’ve seen yet! The 3-inch cups fit perfectly in the indentation on the lids. I think those just might be better than the Gerber Baby Formula or even the Folgers or other similar containers I’ve seen used. The extra height as opposed to width would really allow some excellent space for root development! 

The dimensions on Amazon for these are 9.9 x 6.5 x 6.3 inches (trying to see how many I might could crunch into either a 2x4, 3x3, or 4x4 foot grow space/tent if I might go the Kratky route… or to try several routes like DWC, etc.) With the added height, they do seem wide enough to be able to stand firm and not topple over with a top heavy plant. 

Could you tell what number the plastic is… #2 or #5 would probably be best as far as sturdiness is concerned. Is the lid well enough fitting and stable enough, as well as the overall strength of the upper portion of the container that you think it would hold the weight of a decent sized plant without caving in? That’s why I ask about the thickness- don’t want the plastic to give way, or even crack due to weight & pressure during a grow! Also… are there any other labels one these, such as on the bottom (manufacturer, other numbers, etc..?) I'd be great to be able to buy such or similar containers in bulk from a supply company rather than re-purposing an empty one. I did think of contacting some local nurseries, day care centers, etc.. to try and get some of the Gerber formula containers- haven’t tried it yet. Have to think outside the box… find the cheapest route, sometimes even free perhaps. One person’s trash is another’s treasure!!

Thanks, Peter! Could call you Peter Starr (I’m sure you’ll get the reference! Lol. You already have the last name ‘S’ initial too!) Fun experiment, hope they do well...
Thanks for the kind words Joel! Yeah, I am a fan of Khang Starr's videos. He has a nice community on Google + too. The plastic on the containers seems very sturdy. I looked at an orange one, currently in use (for laundry) and took a pic of the bottom. I didn't get a pic under the lid, but just checked, and it has a 6 on it. Hope that helps. I think the orange is probably better since it's opaque. I'm not sure how large a plant it could support. I don't think caving in would be a problem at all. I think it could support a lot of weight relative to its size. Eventually tipping over might be an issue if its not supported. But you would have the same problem in a 5 gal bucket with a large enough plant. Tying some supports to the net pot itself would probably help. Something like what I did with my 6" net pot/5-gal bucket lids. I don't know what would work best for 3" pots, maybe if there is a small enough type pvc, or even the stuff that fake flowers are made of?

zEucEZal.jpg

Here's a pic of the supports I was talking about. I can add more pvc later as it grows.

ncJg055l.jpg

Thanks for the info/pics! 

I’ve thought of different methods to act as possible plant supports if the plants did get too large and top heavy. I like the pvc ‘stake’ method you pictured, basically the same scenario that people use for tomatoes and such. I thought about also hanging some netting (trellis or DIY w/ fishing line, thin string, etc.) above or even on the side of the plants and then tying strings from the netting to the branches that need added structural support. If the plants are topped and/or ‘stripped’ and kept smaller and more compact, I don’t think toppling over would even be a concern. Also, if plants are grouped close enough together, they would just support each other automatically!

Good to know the plastic is #2 for the reservoir! That’s probably the best for both structural integrity and ‘possible’ health concerns (plastic safety, toxicity/leaching concerns). The #6 (PS- Polystyrene) just happens to be the worst however! Haha. BUT… I personally wouldn’t be concerned with it, as it’s just for structure to hold the cups; it’s not directly in constant contact with the water or roots at all nor will it be exposed to high temps or acidic pH levels which always increases leaching concerns. You, me, and the mass majority of growers are already using Polystyrene though in both SOLO and Styrofoam cups! I try to convince myself it’s OK as long as not exposed to high temps (but what about people who put them out in the sun!?) Some university or research team should really look into doing a study on this and the safety of plastics and gardening at large and if anything passes into food via the roots! Almost all hydroponic systems are nothing but using different types of plastics!  (just think of all the people who drink HOT coffee/soup, etc.. out of Styrofoam! At least some have switched to paper over the concern- thankfully.)

I’ll spare my rant on how we are all being slowly poisoned anyways (deliberate or in the name of ‘convenience’ and the ignorance of materials and long term exposure effects that goes with it.) Grandma was right- don’t eat anything with ingredients you don’t (or she wouldn’t) recognize, can’t pronounce (or w/ lots of #’s), and try and cook only with glass, cast iron or stainless steel.  ;)  Not to get off topic- back to growing...

Just thought of another added benefit with these containers, since they will hold more nutrient solution- you won't have to re-fill them as often as some of the others that are used for small Kratky grows! Think I'll run up to Sam's for some real world experience... 'touch and feel' one up!  :party: Keep us updated!

Here's an update on the Carbonero. It's at the point where I really need to put it in something bigger.

https://youtu.be/tSRvxz2DvDw

I pulled the plug on my Kratky grown Carbonero. It had run out nutrients a few weeks ago, and I kept it going long enough for most of the pods to ripen. This short video shows how the roots looked. They weren't massive, but had been growing from a small net pot. A wider net pot would have allowed the plant to produce a much larger root mass. Also, it had been transferred from a smaller container, and too avoid drowning the air roots I could only fill the tote with 8 gallons of solution.

https://youtu.be/-cH1DwkuYXE

Back