• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Non-standard local peppers

I bought [weeks ago] a six pack of Bhut Jolokia plants for 3.99 at Home Depot. Was pretty surprised! They didn't sell them last year!

What kind of peppers are you able to find at your nursery or hardware store that is "non-typical"?

my depot definitely isn't selling bhuts. The hottest there is a habanero or thai. I dunno I might try to sell the local mom and pop nurseries starts next year! Here you can find habs, cayennes, thai. Pretty standard stuff thats one reason I go seed.

There's an organics/hydro store in a nearby city that has/had Bhuts starts, I didn't bite because I have so many freakin Bhut seeds its ridiculous....however they're interested in getting scorpion and scotch bonnet seeds from me for next season.  One of the local communes is part of a seed exchange and is also interested in getting seeds from me.  There's a backwoods Lowe's about 7 miles from my house that carries habaneros...looks like no one is really interested in buying them though lol.  I was mostly interested in their hybrids--dragon cayenne and golden cayenne to be specific.

Very limited selection of peppers around here. Mostly bells, bananas, jalapenos, cayennes and every once in a while you will find a plain old orange hab. However, I struck gold at a local Amish health food store this year. They had peter pepper plants. Really surprised me to find such a pepper at an Amish place.

Next year might be a little different, though. I have personally donated quite a few seeds to small local nurseries including moruga scorpions and a few other supers.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Very limited selection of peppers around here. Mostly bells, bananas, jalapenos, cayennes and every once in a while you will find a plain old orange hab. However, I struck gold at a local Amish health food store this year. They had peter pepper plants. Really surprised me to find such a pepper at an Amish place.

Next year might be a little different, though. I have personally donated quite a few seeds to small local nurseries including moruga scorpions and a few other supers.

Picturing you with your guitar over your shoulder and your lady with her rat pals on leashes shopping at the "amish health food store" walking around with a peter pepper start in hand. Pretty much a badass visual...

Sm1nts2escape said:
My local nursery had Butch T's, regular Ghost and Trinidad Scorpions. I was very surprised. The spicy food industry is booming.
Good stuff man! I thought my nursery had some variety when I saw just 3 *bhuts there... Nowhere near the selection of your location.

*edit - damn autocorrect

There is a company around here selling large starts through nurseries... red yellow choc bhuts, choc red & butch t scorps, red morugas.......... FOR $8.99! :crazy: :snooty:  They were in 4in pots and about a ft tall but leggy.

Also saw dorsets and red bhuts in the smaller 4-packs for 2.99. Was tempted to grab a dorset. They were all at a small nursery.

Saw cajun bells at lowes for 7.99 but in a 6(?)in pot and most had fruit. Tempted as well..

What was really disappointing for me was that I banked on finding tobascos and a thai or two because they were easy to find last year. Nothing this year though.

AaronRiot said:
There is a company around here selling large starts through nurseries... red yellow choc bhuts, choc red & butch t scorps, red morugas.......... FOR $8.99! :crazy: :snooty:  They were in 4in pots and about a ft tall but leggy.

Also saw dorsets and red bhuts in the smaller 4-packs for 2.99. Was tempted to grab a dorset. They were all at a small nursery.

Saw cajun bells at lowes for 7.99 but in a 6(?)in pot and most had fruit. Tempted as well..

What was really disappointing for me was that I banked on finding tobascos and a thai or two because they were easy to find last year. Nothing this year though.
There is a store near me that I think must be supplied by the same nursery as it had exactly what you described.

My local RCSS also had ghost peppers, but they were the smallest scrawniest looking plants I have seen.

I picked up a Burning Bush habanero from Home Depot, I couldn't resist it as it was a fantastic looking plant and was reduced to $1.66.

Wal-mart had a loco pepper, which was kind of unusual.

None of the local nurseries or box stores sell anything but the norm japs, banana, cayene, big Jim,
Cherry, Thai hot, pablano,orange hab, and tobasco. Even the farmers market here doesn't sell much more, back when ghost was the record somebody was selling ghosts but it turned out to be something very much different, and now they are selling reapers but I'm sure that will turn out to be something else as well!

i saw some very handsome bhuts when i went to pick up some bonemeal this week, two feet tall flowering for 4$ a plant, i was tempted to get one. they also had trinidad scorpions, caribbean habs in addition to bells, wax peppers, cayennes, habanero, thai, tobasco, ornamental... still though, might go back for one of those bhuts

I picked up a healthy ghost pepper plant yesterday at a nursery close enough to walk to from my house. They told me they had 3 other plants that were hotter but sold out of them by June 1. 

PrimeTime said:

Picturing you with your guitar over your shoulder and your lady with her rat pals on leashes shopping at the "amish health food store" walking around with a peter pepper start in hand. Pretty much a badass visual...

Don't forget the snakes and spiders and the fact that the rats are hairless. ;)

Back