• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

None of my chilies are hot !!

ha ha ha ha ha. But there's an element of truth in it. Summer in the UK used to be from about end of may to sept. Now it's between 1pm-3pm on May the 1st if we're lucky.
Any kind of plant growth in the UK requiring a modicum of warm just doesn't work in England. so much for global warming eh. I swear we'll go into an ice age in 2013. I'm freezing already and trying to grow chillies!!!!

Reactions: nee
next time you make a goat curry try using a trinidad scorpion its what i use i make it at least once a month

I don't start me off on this one .....arrrghh!!!!! I would but nothing grows in this rain soaked country naturally.
I don't have the room for a green house :tear: as I live in London.
I have a small grape vine outdoor, the grapes look laughable!!!!
My 7-pods look miserable
and my scorpions looks like down and out tramps!!!!

My Scotch Bonnetts and naga's were poor this year as well but my more medium heat peppers such as Cayennes, Peppers de Padron and some Numex varieties were good.

Its just a theory but maybe the super hots need more sun and a longer growing period which we just dont get.

Why not try a variety I grow every year and they never let me down with big crops - the hot Indian pepper 'Pusa jwala' - just a thought.

Funny enough, I tried to get my brother-in-law to grow some plants for me in London this year (I am married to a London native). I have a couple of customers there that were really interested in fresh bhuts. I assured him that we could make it work in the English climate, but we weren't able to get the project going in time this year. Maybe I will have to rethink the situation now that I hear how bad the weather has become.

Luckily, he is one of the few people in London with a back garden large enough, with enough open sky, to have a small greenhouse.

On the bright side, can't you guys just run down to the Tesco and get Naga Morich? I know I have seen them there before.

The supermarkets arnt very adventurous when it comes to hot peppers. Yes you can buy peppers but the pack will usually say mixed hot peppers so you dont know what you are getting and there is limited choice. Maybe the Indian and Asian stores in the bigger towns provide a better named choice. Sidewinder would no better than me me as he is a London boy and I live in the sticks and play the banjo.

I grew up and lived in Cornwall for 2/3 of my life...but it wasn't until we emigrated to Australia that i actually considered growing anything from seed!

Even my Mum back in the UK has struggled to get anything to grow this year, and she's a hardened gardener....

I live in a watery old bog of an Island called England!

What were the first people that settled in this country think of???????

I've just had to endure the shame of walking round to the corner shop and buying some chilies. My friends will never talk to me again, I'll be spat at in the street for this.

Is there anything I could grow in the rain soaked country that is on par with Naga's???. ( I've tried 7-pods and scorpion's ) and they just don't go anywhere.

Any recommendations ??

I posted a question asking a similiar thing and from the responses the conclusion I came to was to try the Dorset Naga as it may be better suited to UK conditions.

Were they watered with tap water (chlorinated/fluorinated)... because watering with treated water not only drastically stunts the plant, but also makes the peppers that do grow taste bad and/or lack any heat... the seasonal variation of the peppers could be a big factor too

Do you have non-anecdotal evidence for this? I grow indoors for much of the year, and my plants get regular tap water. I have had no problems producing pods full of plenty of capsaicin. I don't think the water is the issue.

My friends that have green houses use tap water/mains water with no probs. My outdoor chilies I've given up on. They look a righ sorry state.
The indoor ones just amounted to nothing. Slow growing and not hot.

If your weather is that bad all the time, you should invest in a quality indoor setup (HPS or MH lights) and/or a small greenhouse.

Good luck

Datil

Back