• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Noob Grows Peppers?

Does anyone grow hydroponically?
Do Hydroponic methods result in less tasty fruit? Are you happy with your results?
What kinds of fertilizers do you use?

I have tried it, used two so called 'Bubbler'.
I can't say that the fruits was less tasty, but then I only had two of them, can hardly call that a fair study.
I used GHE 3 part solution, worked really well, a little to well as I think I over did the growing part, the plants became huge. :)

ipepper said:
I have tried it, used two so called 'Bubbler'.
I can't say that the fruits was less tasty, but then I only had two of them, can hardly call that a fair study.
I used GHE 3 part solution, worked really well, a little to well as I think I over did the growing part, the plants became huge. :)

This one? http://gb.eurohydro.com/floraseries.html

I seen these being used by Khang Starr in his Hydroponics YouTube videos; actually this is what got me interested in hydroponics. From what his videos show he also got very good results, much to what you describe.

Exactly, I have also used FloraNova one-part nutrient while growing in perlite/coco with very good results

Think both are good, pick the one you like the most. Have all in one bottle or do the mixing yourself :)

ipepper said:
Exactly, I have also used FloraNova one-part nutrient while growing in perlite/coco with very good results

Think both are good, pick the one you like the most. Have all in one bottle or do the mixing yourself :)
Nothing better than doing some citizen-science. ;)

When studying about peppers and their growing methods I came across this video:
Does the size of the pot really has that great effect? I am currently planning for 15-Litre pots (3,962 Gallons).

Ares Schizas said:

Does the size of the pot really has that great effect? 

Well, seeing is believing. But yeah, the size of the pot can have a strong influence on the size of the mature plant. It makes sense if you think about it. Containers limit how large the root system can get. A larger root system can support a larger plant. But genetics is also very important. Some varieties have the potential to become huge, like the Dorset Naga in the video. Other types, like Filius Blue or Aji Omnicolor, are going to remain pretty compact shrubs no matter how large the container is.

BlackFatalii said:

Well, seeing is believing. But yeah, the size of the pot can have a strong influence on the size of the mature plant. It makes sense if you think about it. Containers limit how large the root system can get. A larger root system can support a larger plant. But genetics is also very important. Some varieties have the potential to become huge, like the Dorset Naga in the video. Other types, like Filius Blue or Aji Omnicolor, are going to remain pretty compact shrubs no matter how large the container is.
Thank you for explaining. It makes perfect sense.

I guess that, in theory, a Hydroponically grown plants will be bigger than soil grown plants because the roots have more free space?

I also estimate that for most pepper plants (3-4 feet height) a pot of about 80 litres capacity will be the maximum. The Naga in the video seems to be about twice as tall so a pot half the capacity makes sense—at least to a noob. :P

Back