• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Noob here, need advice for hydro

Hey guys,
this is my first post here.
I want to grow peppers in hydroponics (DWC), but I have a few major holes in my understanding of this method. I can't understand the concept of fertilization in hydroponics.
I have bought the full range of GHE fertilizers with all additives. I have also bought PH and EC meters.

I can't figure out where to start.
There is a dilution table on the fertilizer label, just for example let's assume it says 10ml per 1 liter.
If we assume that my bucket is 10 liters, should I add 100 ml of fertilizer in 10 liters of water and put the pepper in this solution?
Or do I add a small amount of the diluted nutrient solution to the bucket water until I hit the target EC and PPM parameters?

Where can I find a feeding chart for pepper plants?

How frequently do I have to change the water of the plants ?

I'm not familiar with GHE nutrients but the first thing you need to check is if they instructions you are reading are for hydro or for soil. If hydro then you're reading it right - 100ml for 10 liters of water.

Once you make your nutrient mix, then measure the pH and EC and note them down. As your plant consumes its nutrients and water you can measure the EC & pH and decide if you are just going to top up with an identical mix or if you need to make it weaker or stronger. The uptake of nutrients and water will depend on a number of factors so you'll have to check and see...

There will also come a point where you just need to dump out most of it and put fresh nutes in - it may take a few months to get to this stage.

There are a lot of feed charts on GH website and others

I like to start with a very mild nute such as foxfarm big bloom, and increase with the "hard" stuff such as Maxigro little by little. Ensure you keep notes and by the time you do your second round of plants you will have it figured out.

You mostly just want to try and read the plants and increase or decrease based on what they're asking for.

Back