• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Northern Lights

Finally bought me 2 x T5 two footers 6400k and building a reflector and stand for same. Question is how long can you leave them under lights (in soil) before going outside say end of May / June ? The plan is to get a head start as up here the season was/is just not long enough without some type of subsidy.
If I start to early will they go to flower ? if I start to late I'll defeat the purpose.

Ideas and or suggestions would be appreciated.

K

Everybody struggles and gambles with this the farther north you go. I'd start them around Feb 21, give or take a couple of weeks depending on species. That should give you a pretty good plant to put out by May/June. Though you may find yourself trying to find more light to keep the seedlings from getting leggy if May turns out colder than usual and you have to delay your plant out. Good luck up there..... :cool:

Well back on topic. what is the wattage on those T5s? you can grow them for as long as you wish, just make sure you have enough space. they will flower, eventually. I would pinch the flowers until they're ready to go outside.

Just remember they will probably grow pretty thin and weak inside. additional light and maybe a little wind would help.
Outside my plants flower within a month from germination. after 3-4 months they're huge and some species are even taller than me.

LOL,,,,Then the subject line would have had a #5 at the end. 8-)

Anyway the lights are 24 watts each and the type you can daisy chain. The plan was to add 2-3 more if and when required..A fan to strengthen the kids sounds good as well as just clipping the flowers till outside.. It's a start and hope they'll have time to grow as big as what I'm hearing some do.

You guys crack me up !!

You should be good to put them out mid May in TO, I had mine in a mini greenhouse in may and in the ground in June here and that was only because we had a cold rainy snap in May.

Ontario here hi Zappa i started sprouting on heat mat in dirt Jan 1, then under flou lights till planting outside end of may i just keep pulling flowers off lots and lots of flowers off, then i pulled some more flowers off.
it all worked out very well

Back