• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Not a clue what this is..

Hey y'all,

I've had this plant for a year and some change and it hasn't started flowering and podding up until this summer. It was mislabelled as a poblano at first. It was then thought to be my lost red bhut plant. The first pull has come and, well, they're chocolate brown. This first batch is also smoother to the touch than the rest of them but not by much. My question is what in the hell are these?

The heat is pretty friggin' hot. It's like a punch in the mouth from a volcano. I'm going to save the seeds and, hopefully, label them accordingly. Thanks in advance to ye olde chiliheads!

beardedchunk said:
Hey y'all,

I've had this plant for a year and some change and it hasn't started flowering and podding up until this summer. It was mislabelled as a poblano at first. It was then thought to be my lost red bhut plant. The first pull has come and, well, they're chocolate brown. This first batch is also smoother to the touch than the rest of them but not by much. My question is what in the hell are these?

The heat is pretty friggin' hot. It's like a punch in the mouth from a volcano. I'm going to save the seeds and, hopefully, label them accordingly. Thanks in advance to ye olde chiliheads!
Because they are green inside, I question whether they are ripe yet.  Leave some on the vine a while and see if they change color.

Dragon, I picked the pod in the picture a week or so ago - just couldn't help myself. The cut pods went from green to blackish then brown and sat there for the better part of a week. I was waiting for them to ripen to red but they seemed to stall out. I'll leave the rest of the plant to hopefully turn red. They are mighty tasty though. On second taste, the heat peaks after about 10 minutes and dwindles around the 20. It has a slight sweetness to it.

beardedchunk said:
Dragon, I picked the pod in the picture a week or so ago - just couldn't help myself. The cut pods went from green to blackish then brown and sat there for the better part of a week. I was waiting for them to ripen to red but they seemed to stall out. I'll leave the rest of the plant to hopefully turn red. They are mighty tasty though. On second taste, the heat peaks after about 10 minutes and dwindles around the 20. It has a slight sweetness to it.
If pods start getting soft and mushy on the vine, then you'll know that they don't need any more ripening, so when future pods get to the color of the soft ones, you can pick them.  For now, I'd save the seeds from your already picked pods, but If pods turn a completely different color on the vine, then your current immature seeds will be much less viable and you should toss them and rely exclusively on seeds from the riper pods for future generations.  Good luck!  Keep the thread updated with pics.

Back