food Not Jamaican Curried Goat

After Jay T posted his thread about eating Jamaican Curried Goat at a local restaurant where he lives I’ve wanted to make some. My Mexican friends who raise goats are gone for several weeks playing the San Antonio area. So no Goat ......

While at the grocery I saw they had boneless leg of Lamb on sale. I knew it wouldn’t be the same but would be close. I bought two.

The best Curried Goat I had in Ja was a little different than most. It had lots of vegetables in it and was more like a stew . One large pot would feed the whole posse at hand. So I went in that direction here.

I seasoned up the lamb chunks with yellow onion, three colors of bell peppers , green onions, lots of garlic , carrots , 3 chopped scotch bonnets and a little of my Jamaican style curry powder .

SeasoningupLamb.jpg

StuffforCLamb.jpg

After letting the lamb season up overnight I scraped off the seasoning vegetables , then browned the lamb chunks. When the lamb was browned I set it aside and sautéed the vegetables. When vegetables were getting a little done and smelled good I added more curry powder and the lamb and let this cook a few more minutes , until the aroma was wonderful. Then I added chicken stock , 1/2 cup Dark Rum, 1/2 cup lime juice and let everything simmer for an hour.

Then I added add the white potato , sweet potato, butternut squash , cho cho ( chayote squash ). After 20 minutes I tasted the stock , added another Scotch Bonnet , some coconut creme to sweeten things up and 3 large cans of diced tomatoes .

BowelofCurriedLamb.jpg

spoonofcurriedlamb.jpg

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Looks very good. Very different from what I had last week. They served it with a lot of rice and very little vegetables. Your's looks better actually.

Jay T ..... Thank you Sir ,

I did serve it with rice. But the wife wanted some kind of "Brown Rice ". The kind I made was black ..... very black. So I didn't add a photo of that. I also had greens and a garden salad . The way I did this and most things I do probably aren't the standard way to do things.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

OMG fantastic! I love chayote too. I'll take that over potatoes in stews like this.

Thanks everyone ....

Pepperfreak I seasoned the lamb over night.

paulky ...... thanks ..... now stop poking that guy in his eyes ...2 funny

Peace,
P. Dreadie

NOw I'm gonna have to see if they've got Jamaican curry powder at the International market. I make up my own version of INdian curry, but I dont know whats in other folks currys.

Wonder if I can get lamb past my kids for thanksgiving!

Back