• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

Miniac67 said:
No I can not I don't have a thermometer
Without knowing what your seed warmer is like, my best guess is that your germination temperature is too high.  I use heater mats and have to be very careful not to overheat germination flats.  Might can offer more insight when you post a picture.

Glad to hear everyone else is having success.  Even if it's just a successful mail delivery, Nulle. I think everyone who has posted here and requested seeds has received them.  I sent some to another person the same time I sent the ones to Nulle and motocross, but don't know if they've arrived yet.  He's not a prolific poster.

I have an update picture of my seedlings, but need to upload from camera->computer->tinypic.com->THP. 

Great news all around.

Here are my little ones:
16lydk5.jpg

Sixteen total, but some may not make it.  Because of humidity reduction shock I've experienced when removing the dome, with this batch, I removed the dome as soon as the first sprouts stood up.  This eliminated the shock, but has drastically reduced the growth rate of the new seedlings.  It also slowed down the germination rate (if not the totals) by about a factor of 2.  I'm sure this is at least partly due to a greater temperature gradient from the bottom of the flat to the top, and a reduced temperature in the leaf zone.  No big deal; there's plenty of time.

Awesome thread Sawyer.  Those were some wicked lookin pods.  I'll have to get some seeds from someone to grow next year.  Might be a little late, or not,  for this year.  

HillBilly Jeff said:
Still just 5/6 germination.  Not going to reseed the other one if it doesn't come.  Just run with the five if that happens.  

They are setting trues already though.

0310nwy.jpg
Five out of six ain't bad.  I like the pink stem on that one.  Mine don't have that.

motocross308 said:
i have hooks !
:woohoo:

Jamison said:
Awesome thread Sawyer.  Those were some wicked lookin pods.  I'll have to get some seeds from someone to grow next year.  Might be a little late, or not,  for this year.  
Hey, Jamison, thanks for looking in.  It's pushing it, but it might not be entirely too late yet.  If you want to give some a try, PM me.  I've got plenty of seeds. 

Those are definitely some awesome, gnarly pods, Jericson, but I'd be surprised if they were the same.  I'll PM you about getting some seeds to you.

Everybody's having great luck with their seeds!  Awesome.
My plant in the greenhouse is getting large - will try to grab a pic today.

Back