• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

November Maxim Magazine

I seen on the cover of the subject magazine a quote about searching for the hottest pepper. Knowing main stream media and how lame they are I didn't hold out much hope that they would be accurate. Imagine my surprise, and delight I must say, that they got it mostly right. They had number one as the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga at 2 million scovies, the 7 Pot Brain Strain at #2 with 1.8 million scovies and the Carolina Reaper in at #3 with 1.4 million scovies. I was impressed.

From the discussion on FB Chileheads group, that article is rife with inaccuracies and made up information/quotes.  And I too have not heard any official numbers on the Brainstrain.  So I'm unsure on where that 1.8 million number came from.

Edit:  I admit to not having read the article, so I can't give any personal reflection on it.

According to FB, everyone else is wrong and has no idea what they are doing. 

I know at least one person who is probably super butt hurt about this article....

MGOLD86 said:
According to FB, everyone else is wrong and has no idea what they are doing. 

I know at least one person who is probably super butt hurt about this article....

LMAO Matt!  I would say you are spot on in both points! :)

I was thinking the Brown Moruga would be in there too. Probably at the top.
Meh. I wonder why in the world hot peppers are mentioned in the magazine???
Maybe new methods of how to heat up your love life???

megahot said:
I was thinking the Brown Moruga would be in there too. Probably at the top.
Meh. I wonder why in the world hot peppers are mentioned in the magazine???
Maybe new methods of how to heat up your love life???

Yeah, well, it's a list made of peppers which names got to a mainstream audience. The brown morouga is still little known and grown by a selected group of people and Judy doesn't seem the type to scream HOTTEST PEPPER EVER without backing it with proof - and neither seems Neil Smith from The Hippy Seed with his chocolate scorpion - both of these peppers could be THE heavy-hitters but the respective creators are keeping it low-key. 

There are lots of peppers who can claim a shot to the title, only 2-3 types got properly tested, the last one was the Butch-T.

And there is nothing to GUESS. As a chemist I can tell you - claims like this are time and resource consuming because statistics is a cold hearted bit*h and you need to analyse a wider number of specimen over a period of time to claim a result that represents reality. Works like this should be done by a number of independent laboratories parallely. Everything else is wild speculation based on personal subjective experiences.

Realy sorry for the off-topic, needed to get it of my chest  :P

Back