Now this is purple!!!!! (Pruning question too)

they're Giant Jalapenos, and it's only these 3 out of 45 total plants (in pots so far). They're also the biggest plants I've got right now. What'da ya think of em'?
DSCI0026_zpsa241ffd6.jpg

also, do you guys prune or "top" your plants? would this help keep some of these bigger ones shorter, and bushier?

they're Giant Jalapenos, and it's only these 3 out of 45 total plants (in pots so far). They're also the biggest plants I've got right now. What'da ya think of em'?
DSCI0026_zpsa241ffd6.jpg

also, do you guys prune or "top" your plants? would this help keep some of these bigger ones shorter, and bushier?

Yes, for some of the lanky types like Jalapeno, I do top them to encourage lateral growth.

Looks like a natural healthy pepper color to me, but it is a little odd that only those few plants have that variation. You sure you didn't get a few oddball seeds in there?

i don't know. i kinda doubt it. maybe when my other seedlings get bigger, they'll turn purple too. i got my seeds from pepperlover.com, from all the reviews here. i've been really impressed with them too. . .

Probably nothing to worry about then. Purple stems are a genetic trait, kinda like blue eyes. Those seeds got the lucky combo of parents!

Make sure your growing medium isn't too cold/wet as this can inhibit phosphorus uptake in the root zone resulting in purpling of stems leaves and veins.
Not saying that is the reason for the purple colouring but something to think about.
Normal Jalapeños should not be purple so its crossed/unstable or incorrect seed. Or the its the phosphorus difficiency

Back