• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NPK Any Good??

Hi,

I'm totally new to growing peppers, all gardening in fact. I live in Thailand and finding good potting soil is proving difficult. I have found a product called Superpeat (the only English on the packet). After some research I've discovered that its White Peat from Denmark, it's PH is 6 and it has a NPK of 11, 16, 22. My plan is to mix this with perlite. I was just wondering if anyone had used this product and/or what people think about the NPK levels for peppers.

Any info/advice will be gladly received.

Many thanks, Ezzer.

it should be ok .. for hot peppers preferably a balance fert is needed but the mix looks ok. try it and do inform us of your experience with this soil mix.

Try to use fertilizer with lower NPK ratios or use it very diluted. Chiles are relatively unengineered plants and can't use a lot of fertilizer.

Any other opinions?? I'm a total novice at gardening, I could do with some help, please.

Thanks Ezzer.

Try to use fertilizer with lower NPK ratios or use it very diluted. Chiles are relatively unengineered plants and can't use a lot of fertilizer.
Sorry, it's not a fertilizer it's a potting mix, Sphagnum peat moss with a Ph balanced to 6 and a NPK of 11-16-22, I was thinking a 7 to 3 ratio Superpeat and Perlite.

Thoughts please.

you can plant peppers in the ground or in pots

there is something called hydroponics that uses inert media also

what peppers are you growing?

sometimes pictures help

Sorry, it's not a fertilizer it's a potting mix, Sphagnum peat moss with a Ph balanced to 6 and a NPK of 11-16-22, I was thinking a 7 to 3 ratio Superpeat and Perlite.

Thoughts please.

The perlite will help, but I think that may still retain a little too much water.
The NPK seems too high for a mix, is that the NPK of an additiOnal fert they have added?

The perlite will help, but I think that may still retain a little too much water.
The NPK seems too high for a mix, is that the NPK of an additiOnal fert they have added?

All the writing on the bag is in Thai. I have had a close look at the mix and it would appear to have fertilizer added. I have just noticed LGHT's post "All About Soil", how did I miss that, seeing as it's pinned to the top :oops: and many of the mixes on there are 50% Sphagnum Peat, 50% Sand/Perlite/ Vermiculite with fertilizers added.

I need a mix that is going to retain some water as I am planting in containers and here in Thailand the temperature is rarely below 30 in the day (it's nearer 40 at the moment). I am also very limited on options,

Items Available:
Superpeat
Shop bought compost
Very cheap generic potting soil
Perlite
Sharp sand
Coconut Coir (not sure about the salt content)

From your list I would mix the super peat with compost.

I use coco peat bought from Ace hardware here in jkta to germinate my seeds. When I potted the seedlings on I mixed compost & bat guano ~ 50 - 40- 10%. So far so good. Good luck!

From your list I would mix the super peat with compost.

I use coco peat bought from Ace hardware here in jkta to germinate my seeds. When I potted the seedlings on I mixed compost & bat guano ~ 50 - 40- 10%. So far so good. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I can get coconut coir is that the same as coco peat?
Am I right in thinking coco peat has no nutrients? If so what sort and how much fertilizer do you use after germination?

Am I right in thinking coco peat has no nutrients? If so what sort and how much fertilizer do you use after germination?

Yep, the coco peat has no nutes. I have only used compost & bat guano as nutes so far - my seedlings are just over a month old. I am looking for an organic foliar feed and will apply it in the coming weeks. I have seen Miracle Gro water soluble tomato food & may give it a whirl. I am new to this as well, I have done all of my learning on here. Not only a wealth of info, some very knowledgeable folks too.

I am not familiar with coconut coir.

Googled it and they are one and the same. might give it a go as a starting medium, it's very cheap here. Thanks for the info

All the writing on the bag is in Thai. I have had a close look at the mix and it would appear to have fertilizer added. I have just noticed LGHT's post "All About Soil", how did I miss that, seeing as it's pinned to the top :oops: and many of the mixes on there are 50% Sphagnum Peat, 50% Sand/Perlite/ Vermiculite with fertilizers added.

I need a mix that is going to retain some water as I am planting in containers and here in Thailand the temperature is rarely below 30 in the day (it's nearer 40 at the moment). I am also very limited on options,

Items Available:
Superpeat
Shop bought compost
Very cheap generic potting soil
Perlite
Sharp sand
Coconut Coir (not sure about the salt content)
I have been reading your post.so you are planning to get a soil mix that retains water.from my experience ,that would be a mistake in our weather.i would like to suggest some well draining soil mix which retains little water. You just have to water them twice a day during hot and drought periods. As you know, we also get times where it rains everyday of the week. Its better to have the plant wilt a bit then having wet feet syndrome.
Well its just my 2 cents advise.

Coco coil and coco peat is not the same.both are from the coconuts outer cover.the coil is more the stringy one and the peat is the left over after the coil is taken.the peat has more water retention properties than the coil and the coil is used as a mulch.i think I got both of it,might take a photo of it and post.
A weak diluted balance fertilizer is used.usually at quarter strength.

I have been reading your post.so you are planning to get a soil mix that retains water.from my experience ,that would be a mistake in our weather.i would like to suggest some well draining soil mix which retains little water. You just have to water them twice a day during hot and drought periods. As you know, we also get times where it rains everyday of the week. Its better to have the plant wilt a bit then having wet feet syndrome.
Well its just my 2 cents advise.
Thanks for throwing your 2 cents in. All advice is well received.I need all the help I can get! What sort of mix do you suggest from my list of available items?

Your "NPK" is fertilizer. N is nitrogen, P is phosphorus and K is potassium. I think if it was me I would mix your superpeat with some of the coco coir, not coco coil, and some compost and see how that works.

I've never heard of "coco peat" as coco is taken from coconuts and peat is usually peat moss.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the input Patrick, I need to make some sort of decision soon as I've had a few seeds germinate over the last couple of days :woohoo:

Just my two cents= I use 100% coco Cori to start seeds in and to grow in its the greatest to grow I in ,have tried it all. its cheap, works great, and is Renewable and in the last 2 years have replaced all the soil in my beds with it and some compost, all my plants love it. I use fish and sea weed for fertilizer and home made microorganisms added to the Cori to build it . work GREAT for me try it you will like it and it works, trust me Alex
( have been growing for close to 50 years)

Patrick here they call it coco peat.coco Cori, and plain coco all the same stuff some of it is a little hairy some is just like peat moss depends on who they buy it from the best stuff comes from Thailand right now may change next week happy growing Alex

Just my two cents= I use 100% coco Cori to start seeds in and to grow in its the greatest to grow I in ,have tried it all. its cheap, works great, and is Renewable and in the last 2 years have replaced all the soil in my beds with it and some compost, all my plants love it. I use fish and sea weed for fertilizer and home made microorganisms added to the Cori to build it . work GREAT for me try it you will like it and it works, trust me Alex

Patrick here they call it coco peat.coco Cori, and plain coco all the same stuff some of it is a little hairy some is just like peat moss depends on who they buy it from the best stuff comes from Thailand right now may change next week happy growing Alex

Thats good to know, thanks.

Cheers Alex, that helps a lot. I have been combing the net and coco coir seems like a good option, very cheap here too :) I am going to grow in containers. Do you think I should add any perlite or sand to aid drainage?

Thanks Ezzer

Back