• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NuMex Heritage chiles

looks pretty cool. The "encino man" of peppers. Very big. any idea what "medium heat" means? I'm assuming around the Jalapeno range?

I'm sure thinking of growing a lot of the sandias next year if they get released on time, and some 6-4's too. Is anybody growing any of these improved varieties? It would be nice to have a pepper review on these, especially from those who have grown the regular versions before

P - I grew the sandias last year and they turned out great...I love the color of them...they are darker red than the standard anaheim and add a great "depth of color" to my chili powder....only problem I had was rats eating them...the rats ate more than I picked...

I've had the regular Sandias too and I loved them they are good and hot for a Numex/Anaheim, I'm just wondering how much better the improved versions are for flavor and aroma?

Sadly nmsu insists and requires me to have an import license. Even if my country's policies aren't implemented anyway, when it comes to seeds at least.

Would love to purchase from nmsu and get all the pepper seeds i want.

I have already mentioned to that there is no need for me to do so specially for small purchases like mine.

Havent recieved word from them if they would let me purchase and ship the seeds to my country at my own risk. I have since recieved 3 of the 5 packages of seeds that i purchased from other sources safely without getting fined or warned by customs.

The way I see it, NMSU is a University and must cover their backs and do things legally.
Most seeds can be bought from other sources, even these heritage/improved numex types

Contacted a few sellers such as peppergal and neil of thsc they said they can help out with purchases and i will buy from the ones who'll let me.

I completely understand that nmsu wants to keep it legal. Technically speaking there really isnt anything illegal being committed since i've studied the local policy about the matter and it only pertains to importing large amounts of seeds (by the ton, literally). Eventually i will get said license but as it stands, it's more of a hindrance than anything. I support their need for following rules. I may be at fault as i am the one pushing them to do it.

I'll be interested in knowing as well. My wife is from New Mexico and we HAVE to have green chili (which I love myself) and she's used to going to walmart parking lot and buying cases of roasted green chilis ready for the freezer.......You cant find that in NC. So Im growing her some Big Jims and Anaheims this year. We'll see how it goes. Will be nice to have green chili whenever we want it....but since they use so many different NuMex/ Anaheim types for green chili, Im looking for the best.....Have heard the Sandias are a bit hotter, which is good for her since she loves the heat.

I swear, seems like atleast once a month, atleast one of her facebook friends that has left NM posts "Wish I was in NM....can't get good green chili here"

I don't think I ever actually had a NM pepper. Saw a few varieties of plants last year like Big Jim and 6-4 and said... nah. Mostly because of heat level, I heard they weren't very hot, plus I heard that their uses mostly centered around specific types of food (ie. stuffing). Tried a regular "anaheim" and "poblano" from the store and didn't really like them, so it looks like the NM varieties are (for the most part) out for good. They've got some non-anaheim ones I'm interested in though (I am trying the Twilight purely for visual purposes). I think the jalapeno will remain the least-hot pepper I use (doesn't NM produce a multi-colored variant? Might try that one). Good news for anyone who likes the style, though.

I have grown up on Sandia Hots and Big Jims from Hatch, NM. I too noticed the Heritage Sandia and Heritage Big Jim and can't wait to try them out. If you require more heat in a long green chile, get the Lumbre. These are sold as extra hot at all the stands and farms out there. They are smaller and are screaming hot. The Institute claims that the Heritage Big Jims are consistantly hotter and this is great news. These are the thickest and tastiest of all the long green chiles hands down. I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Hatch at the end of August and will be searching for the Heritage Chiles.

Wish I could go with you. Last time I was in New Mexico was in December/ January....nothing but dried or frozen roasted pods that time of year....and cold barren ass land lol

You guys that use the New Mexico and Anaheim type chilis to make New Mexico style chili verde, which chilis do you use?

JustinNC. The only green chiles I eat come from Lytle Farms in Hatch, NM. I grew up getting their chiles and have eaten them most of my life. Sometimes I strayed and got my chiles from other places when I lived in Albuquerque and regretted it. They were good, but not like the real deal from Hatch. It's kind of a long story, but most of the green chiles you see in the stores in Texas, Colorado, and even New Mexico does not come from there. These places get their chiles from Mexico and other places and label them from Hatch and charge alot less for them. The reason the Hatch chiles are such a big deal is they have the perfect combination of hot dry weather and the soil from the Mesilla Valley(and probably genetics. You can't replicate that in a greenhouse or under lamps. The main chiles I see from the Hatch stands are Lumbre (X hot), Big Jim (medium-hot), Sandia (hot), NM 6-4(mild) and Joe Barker. If all you have in your stores are Anaheim you could use those. If you want the best, you can go online and order from the farms in Hatch. It is expensive because of the shipping. I am retired airline employee and make my chile run to Hatch every year at the end of Aug. and roast 200-300 pounds of them and bring them back to Seattle frozen in baggies for my yearlong supply. For me, green chile is my life blood.

Back