• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds NuMex Suave seedlings crashed and burned

The title sort of says it all. I didn't get a huge number of Suave starts in the first place, but they were looking reasonably good until Sunday, at which point all but one went into that general "floppy seedling" mode. You know what I mean: The stem won't stand up, then the leaves collapse and shrivel back as if they're not getting any support from the stem, which I suppose they're not, and there you are with a dead plant.

This always happens to a few seedlings, of course, which is why we plant more than we expect to need, and _chinenses_ seem generally to be more sensitive than other species, but it's so concentrated in this one type that I wonder if there's any special reason. Are the NM Suaves especially sensitive, or did I get a kind of ill-favored batch of seed for them, or is it just a Texas-sharpshooter effect?

They've been potted into individual cups for about a week and a half now (Happy Frog soil, which worked well for me last year), taking a turn in the sun during the days and coming indoors at night. (No signs of sunburn or anything like that.) Other plants in the same regime, mostly _annuum_ but a few _chinense_ and _baccatum_, seem to be doing fine, with a couple of individual failure-to-thrive cases but no obvious clustering.

-NT

man,
happy frog mix is outrageously priced, and thats an understatement. Off topic, you should really look into making your own mix. Making a 5-1-1 mix is pretty easy and well worth it.

It looks like your in CA, what are your temperatures like? maybe its getting to cold and causing shock?
If you could post pics that would be awesome.

What you describe sounds like damping off, but hard to tell without pics. I haven't noticed any less of a germination or survival rate on the Suave Orange from my personal experience.

I don't think there's much left to get a picture of, but I'll take a look this evening. I've moved the victims to the sunniest windowsill I've got rather than ferrying them in and out. If there is something fungal, that separation seems like a good thing.

I guess I hadn't thought about damping off, per se, because things haven't been very damp and because the wilt kind of seems to start near the crown rather than at or below the soil line. The last few days have been sunny, quite dry, and pretty mild (highs in the 60s F or low 70s, I'd guess), seemingly pretty good pepper conditions---and everything *else* is happy. The Suaves have been physically close to one another, so I guess it's possible something just happened to get started there and spread to nearby plants.

I've got a few seeds left, so I'll try again when I have some tray space. Which will be *real* soon if the Turk's Caps keep going like they are.

-NT

ive never grown NuMex Suave....however i did grow a BUNCH of NuMex Twilight years ago....still i dont think i can be of any help on this one...

OK, I got a couple of pictures, though as I say there's not that much left to see. Here are a couple of the victims:
8511022497_94f4a83d74_z.jpg

And here's one closer up:
8512127350_ddd7d5edbc_z.jpg

They got whiter after collapsing---as far as I remember, I noticed droop before I noticed any discoloration.

Those two pictures are a bit of a downer, so here they are in happier days, shortly before potting out. The Suaves are in the bottom center, and you can see that the germination rate wasn't great and they were running behind the others in size, but they look healthy enough.
8512131776_d4cbe7bda9_z.jpg

It looks like damping off, but kind of without the "damp" part...

-NT

They're not quite as wet as they look in the photos---the flash exaggerates it, but the soil is fairly wet from the last watering (which is when I noticed them failing). I don't *think* I was overwatering in general, but maybe I misjudged and the other seedlings were far enough along to tolerate it, or something.

-NT

It is possible, with a variety of other factors mixed in, that they managed to get a bit fried by the natural sunlight. Maybe they were in the wrong spot and the wrong time during hardening off. All you need is a stray reflection or a small unshaded spot where direct sunlight could have poked through even for a few minutes to give a sensitive seedling a good cookin. Repotting too soon before hardening off could play a significant role as well, I believe it is safer to harden off then re-pot.

Back