• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nutrient cost comparison

In interest of being cost efficient i made a spreadsheet comparing some 100% nutrient solutions (can be for soil or hydro).
I figured i'd share for anyone.

4bSHcOw.png

As you can see the chem-gro and masterblend are much cheaper (gh price is comparable to foxfarm,advanced nutrients, etc)
of course you're buying much more bulk and have to mix them yourself. 

What do you think?
Anything wrong with what i did?
Anything you can suggest that's close in price to the lowest?

Last time I mixed for hydro was in the beginning years of hydro for "cash crops". :shh:

Much more to it than just adding water to powdered chems, especially when adding adjuncts.

Easy to end up nute locked and PH off.

Though if you have a recipe and method that works well, many would love to hear a cheaper alternative.

Reactions: SL3
Gotrox said:
Last time I mixed for hydro was in the beginning years of hydro for "cash crops". :shh:

Much more to it than just adding water to powdered chems, especially when adding adjuncts.

Easy to end up nute locked and PH off.

Though if you have a recipe and method that works well, many would love to hear a cheaper alternative.
its actually just that easy. you simply add salts to water, mix, then adjust the ph if necessary.
been doing this for 3 years now.

what adjuncts are you talking about?

Excellent idea juanitos. I think I may be able to track down a similar spreadsheet if you're going to expand. Can't find it at the moment.

juanitos said:
Anything you can suggest that's close in price to the lowest
the only thing that's going to be cheaper than the hydro gardens fertilizer, will be individual salts mixed by ones self.

the hydro gardens fertilizers are legit.

Hydrogardens is one of the best sources I've found for good quality, reasonably priced fertilizers. I have occasionally
purchased the Peters fertilizers (now called something else, but the same stuff) from A M Leonard when they have their
periodic free shipping or 20% off sales. The 25 pound bags end up costing about $1.5-1.7/lb. delivered. There is a good range of mixes available from them. I'm curious aboutthe calcium nitrate listed in the spreadsheet: it is cheaper than what I get at Hydrogardens; where do you get it
(Morgan?).
Renais

Renais1 said:
Hydrogardens is one of the best sources I've found for good quality, reasonably priced fertilizers. I have occasionally
purchased the Peters fertilizers (now called something else, but the same stuff) from A M Leonard when they have their
periodic free shipping or 20% off sales. The 25 pound bags end up costing about $1.5-1.7/lb. delivered. There is a good range of mixes available from them. I'm curious aboutthe calcium nitrate listed in the spreadsheet: it is cheaper than what I get at Hydrogardens; where do you get it
(Morgan?).
Renais
https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=475

All of these have some form of micronutrients / trace elements.
it's not just NPK. that's why i say 100% nute solutions in first post.

and idk what to say about "organics". ocean solution is organic tho

grotox.
peters STEM costs about 5 dollars an lb. i require around 1 gram to produce a 30 gallon trash can of fertilized water.
its by far the cheapest ingrediant to my nutrient profile.

Back