• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nutrient ratios and stuff

Okay well ever since I started growing peppers I would just look at the package on the nutrients I was using and use it how they said like X ml per gallon of water, but I was wondering about adjusting the ml per gallon of certain things I use, like just say im using a 9-3-6 that calls for 1ml per gallon. That would give me a gallon of nutrients that is 9-3-6 correct? but if I used 2ml instead would that give me 18-6-12? Im just trying to figure out new ways to grow my plants and stuff and don't quite understand the ratios of nutrients. I might sound dumb at this point but you guys know a lot more about growing than I do and I have more questions aha alright and if im correct in the doubling up part what would make that better? like whats the difference between 9-3-6 and 18-6-12? besides the numbers. Im also concluding that the ratios are the percentage of the substance in a gallon of water correct? What makes all of the chemical fertilizers different? and before someone says to search for this stuff I have been for about 2 hours and didn't really get anywhere so im asking the pros maybe I can get some solid answers.

Thanks Tyler

The numbers on the container refer only to the percentages of the elements in the product itself. A 9-3-6 fertilizer is 9% Nitrogen until it is diluted or added to soil or whatever. Once you prepare a dilution (1 t. per gallon or 2 t. per gallon…) all bets are off and you would need to calculate the concentration of the new solution that you prepared.

Blister said:
The numbers represent the total weight of n-p-k in percent. It wouldn't double in your solution because you doubled the recommended strength.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningguides/fertilizer/basics/understandingfertilizernumbers.aspx
Thanks for the link! :P

dash 2 said:
     The numbers on the container refer only to the percentages of the elements in the product itself. A 9-3-6 fertilizer is 9% Nitrogen until it is diluted or added to soil or whatever. Once you prepare a dilution (1 t. per gallon or 2 t. per gallon…) all bets are off and you would need to calculate the concentration of the new solution that you prepared.
Thanks I think I understand it a little more.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Are you growing in containers? If you are why not make a good soil that does not need any thought for the rest of the growing season once it's mixed and allowed to activate?
well im growing like 10 plants in containers using promix but all my other plants are inground plants so the soil thing would be off for the ingrounds but ill research some soil blends for my container plants.. Thanks!

Back