event NW Chilefest 2013 Discussion

Oh I was thinkin of that trailer!!!!! Fo Sho!

So let's keep talking about the date---

Totally think that spending 3+ days sounds fun but with me starting school thats not happening. So date isn't a huge deal. As far as location I think its only fair and right to alternate sides of the mountains so East is my vote. I hope that there's something that can accommodate the sea of Chile's and tomfoolery. :)

I'm game for pretty much anywhere, but Easton, WA would be great! Kathy and I drove through Easton this morning on our way to Yakima to pick chilis for upcoming sauces. Easton is a beautiful area. Later August would be great too.

For me, regardless if you guys have 3+ days, I could only be there from Friday evening-Sunday morning because the complications of child custody and my freaking amazing ex (which is for another thread) I can't take my kids out of school ..plus I'm starting school also.. But my vote is eastern Washington..I love the drive..I'm sure I can convince the Anthony and J to go..Anthony made his first ACTUAL homemade pizza.. Aaron is an inspiration.. Does this mean no more boxed foods for me?! I hope so! Next step..get him to like fruits and veggies..anyone up for that task?

We used to get together with a couple of other family friends and go up to Wallace Falls every year. Parents in cabins kids in tents had a lot of fun there but that was back in the mid - late 70's. Have no idea what it's like now but I know it's pretty central to the state for everyone to get to and if staying for a week or so a cabin with showers and a kitchen is nice to have.

Thanks for the suggestions, RM. Looks like a cool place, but they don't have facilities for enough of us.

Here's another suggestion-
Lake Wenatchee state park on Hwy2 ouside of Leavenworth.
http://www.parks.wa....=Lake Wenatchee

OH! And and even BETTER OPTION!

Seriously, check out this one-
KOA in Leavenworth-
http://koa.com/campg...enworth/photos/

It's a pretty dorky website, but if you check out the map, they have group sites, tents, RVs, cabins, volleyball, basketball, game room, heated pool, playground, on the river, horse shoes.....

just got some pricing-
large tent site $54/night, can fit 2 large or up to 4 small tents per site, with $5 per person extra charge for more than 2 people.

basic trailer site- $55/night, and can add a tent (or 2???) with the extra person charges.

So if 3 tents (6 people) go in on one site, that's about $25 per night, and obviously even less if another tent goes in there.
KOA starts taking reservations in February.

Thanks for the suggestions, RM. Looks like a cool place, but they don't have facilities for enough of us.

Here's another suggestion-
Lake Wenatchee state park on Hwy2 ouside of Leavenworth.
http://www.parks.wa....=Lake Wenatchee

OH! And and even BETTER OPTION!

Seriously, check out this one-
KOA in Leavenworth-
http://koa.com/campg...enworth/photos/

It's a pretty dorky website, but if you check out the map, they have group sites, tents, RVs, cabins, volleyball, basketball, game room, heated pool, playground, on the river, horse shoes.....

just got some pricing-
large tent site $54/night, can fit 2 large or up to 4 small tents per site, with $5 per person extra charge for more than 2 people.

basic trailer site- $55/night, and can add a tent (or 2???) with the extra person charges.

So if 3 tents (6 people) go in on one site, that's about $25 per night, and obviously even less if another tent goes in there.
KOA starts taking reservations in February.

Ann, KOA looks PERFECT! Leavenworth is a really beautiful area! This would be perfect.

Your welcome, I was going to recommend Camp Miur, but I didn't think Scovie would have been up to it and I didn't want to hear about him trying to back pack the smoker in. :dance: :rofl: :dance:

:lol: Yea, I don't wanna have to listen to a weekend of whining about that either.

CJ, weren't you and I supposed to have a road trip to Leavenworht for something important? Cheese? Brats???? :think: what was that????

Leavenworth is so awesome. We go there often. Beer gardens, Brats, Applets/Cotlets factory nearby in Cashmere, a store selling hot sauces and all kinds of condiments, great Mexican food a short hop-skip at Wenatchee - how can there be a better place for the 2013 fest?

Ok.... I am in love with the KOA in Leavenworth! Its got everything and I think that everyone's needs could be met there. Anywho East vote and Leavenworth KOA. :)

Ok.... another HUGE plus about this site is they have Wi-Fi sooo.... I could do my schoolwork and we could be there for 3+ days!!!!!!!

My experience with the KOAs is that they looooooove their rules! :)

I've read that the Leavenworth KOA has very small, and super close campsites. Kinda pricey too, with the hidden fees.

I'm also concerned about camping in the Cascades that time of year and having campfires. The campgrounds on our way over this year all had "no fire" & "no campfires" signs.

I will chime in with some concerns.

August is a no go for me, I have a huge kite festival in Long Beach Wa the third WEEK of this month, and will opt out of the chili fest if there is any problem with them happening at the same time. I really need to have at least a week between them so I have time to work on orders after the kite festival

Eastern washington is doable, but my wife is sensitive to dust, has problems with allergies. She says she will not go if it is in a dusty dry place.

Make sure it is at a place that is dog friendly.

The day camp at K/P was really nice, out of the sun, lots of tables, etc. Would be nice if the 2013 site had something comparable. I would not want to spend my entire day out in the sun with no place to get in the shade.

That is all I can think of at the moment, gotta get back to making product............

My experience with the KOAs is that they looooooove their rules! :)

I've read that the Leavenworth KOA has very small, and super close campsites. Kinda pricey too, with the hidden fees.

I'm also concerned about camping in the Cascades that time of year and having campfires. The campgrounds on our way over this year all had "no fire" & "no campfires" signs.

If this true there might be some issues. We had lots of people come out this year and we got pretty loud. Luckily the rangers were pretty nice. But seems to me there will be lots more this year, imagine the noise then. If they love their rules we might spend all this time time, money and effort just to be kicked out the first night.

Just saying...........carry on

Stupid phone

I hate KOA.
And their entire website reads like an add. With NO pricing. WTF???
It's like going out for burgers and ending up at MacDonalds. Meh.
And THEN i read the reviews like Yelp on that place...
"Sites are on top of each other".
"Too many rules".
"Bathroom access sucks".
"Poor wi-fi".
"TONS of hidden costs".

http://www.yelp.com/biz/koa-pine-village-kampground-leavenworth

I'm just going to say this so y'all don't think I'm just trying to make waves...

There are two parties that will be flying in.
One from San Fran, and one from Atlanta. That's just who we know of NOW.
One huge reason the Banks Lake area is on the top of my list, is for those folks.
If I (or any other volunteer) need to drive to the Spokane airport, it's 1.5 hours easy drive with no Mtn. Passes to pick them up.
And still only a 4+ hour drive from Port Orchard.
The KOA is not feaseable for that, unless the fliers-in wanted to buck up another $130 ea. to fly into Wenatchee
with layovers, in Seattle etc... And/or rent a car for that....
I'm all about saving them easy money, and helping when I can.

The other option for them is to fly into Seattle and rent a car to try and find their way to Levenworth. Meh.

There are other factors here to keep in mind.
I've said my piece, thanks for reading.

Travelers can fly into Seattle, there are lots of Seattle folks they can make arrangements with. And they'll likely want to come in a day or two ahead of time, and maybe stay a day or two later anyway. I doubt they'll fly in Friday and fly out Sunday. We might have to do some informal billetting/hosting for the out of towners.

If we go to SunBanks, I think it would need to be August for sure. With the added drive time for the west siders, they would be hard pressed to make it after work/school on Friday and probably more will need to take Friday off and camp. And we don't know how anal retentive the SunBanks people are. If they put on a blues festival that doen't allow kids.... They might be as intolerant of shenanigans as the others.

I just thought the KOA sounded like a good option to where one person could reserve the campsite, and then up to 3 other tents could come in later, even to the last minute. And there were lots of activities. If there's a burn-ban on, it will be for the whole region. I'm up for a road trip to check it out, need to hit up Costco in Wenatchee for some basic necessities anyway...(beer, wine, buttwipe... :lol)

Did anyone look at Lake Wenatchee State Park??? Same area....

Whatever~ You guys figger it out. I'll go wherever.

The SunBanks Blues Festival is scheduled in May, the weekend before Memorial Day, and in Sept., the weekend after Labor Day.

During Blues weekends, it IS a 'no minors' venue. All other times, it's kid-friendly.

Back