• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NZChili and the Volunteer Gardens

Hi there, been awhile since I posted..but I have been continuing to grow peppers every year.

The last couple of years I have had some pretty solid hauls..I have been encouraging Volunteers and want peppers to just grow themselves..so at the end of the season I throw all the old pods around the grow beds and just let them all sprout themselves next year. I selectively weed out the weeds and leave all the pepper sprouts to battle it out. Survival of the fittest.

Pretty much the plants in pots i purposely grew from seed, and the ones in the garden are all volunteers. The Volunteer's all originate from a gnarly brown bhutler pheno which I have continued growing for the last few years..

in no particular order..here are some images of how things are shaping up.

mhCQnam.jpg

h0x0nfI.jpg

xRUZhWR.jpg

I picked a few rocotos to give to some of the guys at work.
zjrihxs.jpg

HU5B7k7.jpg

I also removed/ threw away this many that had been eaten by something
ykBf4uI.jpg

I have a pretty big bush of Aji Verde.
OnMkZGr.jpg

here are some of the bhutlah pheno that iv been growing for years
9mNLs67.jpg

Uy9hhGT.jpg

R8rVBPz.jpg

random photos from garden
Ks8iTTE.jpg

c0AOCn7.jpg

here is what I believe to be the cross between the bhutlah and the wild bird pepper 
2VOsaDA.jpg

That bhutlah x possible thai cross looks prolific, will be interesting to see if it produces super hot pods.

How do you keep growing the same pheno? overwintering or cuttings?

fairyfoam48 said:
That bhutlah x possible thai cross looks prolific, will be interesting to see if it produces super hot pods.

How do you keep growing the same pheno? overwintering or cuttings?
Neither. I dont intentionally overwinter anything that isnt in a pot. I only discard/bury pods from the correct pheno into the growing beds.
I end up with a few crosses and other random plants but a good proportion come out true and I only discard those/bury those ones .
If a particularly interesting comes along Id grow it out in pots. Might grow this cross out . We will see

I'd give my left nutcracker to have
a climate like yours, Jacques! Being
able to naturalize peppers is just
awesome!

"I also removed/ threw away this many
that had been eaten by something"

If you have to have rodents, ChiliHead
Rats are the best kind  :rofl:

Back