Oatmeal Cookie Porter

I just find myself chasing a different kind of beer right now ... actually, beerS ...

I think I'm digging the 6.5-9.5 range, probably ... whereas before I was aiming for the 9+ 'unlimited' class, lol ...
Ain't nobody got time for that (to get good) ...

Listen to recent beersmith podcast with craft maltster and dude from Bell's ...

Says to take a few pre-boil ounces and add a shot of whisky and it's a brewer's breakfast ...

I may have to throw a KBS in the fridge for tomorrow. It will probably be one of my 9Fidy's next lol. They've gotten so much better that my 30 min hop addition has faded.

Man this second brew may be a failure too. My yeast was expired. It even krausened up and has continued to bubble so I figured it was good. It's still over 1.040 which I don't know how it's even possible. I thought it tastes odd, but I had also just brushed my teeth. I will give it another week and check it again.
If it's bad, 3rd times a charm I guess.

Hmm ... weird! ... I totally relate to yeast woes ... ugh ...

Are you making a fundamentally unfermentable wort, unknowingly? (lacking diastatic power) ...

My bhut stout was straddling that line, and ended up leaning a bit towards the chocolate milk side ...

No. It's right around 80% pale malt. It brewed fine last time. I just put too much molasses in the secondary.

This one didn't do anything the first day, then the second day it about plugged the airlock and hasn't slowed down up until last night. I put it in the secondary last night and there was a thin layer of krausen on the top this morning.

I'm thinking the yeast was slow to start and it may have got infected in the meantime. It's really bizarre.

23 pounds of fermentables for a 3 gallon batch? That rocks. LOL  Your ring in the carboy shows some serious fermentation going on there. Might need to pitch a new batch of yeast, at that high. I need to double check if the S-04 can handle alcohol at that high?

It fermented fine the first time. Used 1 whole pack of 04. This time I used WLP 002. One pack should be fine for a 3 gal batch without a starter but the yeast was old and it was slow to start and it got infected. Next time I'll just use the 04.
I think you read something wrong too. There wasn't 23lbs. Right about 10lbs if I remember correctly.

Back