• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ocho Cinco's Second Season 2014

Well, let me start by saying "Thank You!" to many of the great members here on THP. I have gotten a lot of good advice and seeds from quite a few of y'all. 

Here is my overwinter plant. It is a Carolina Reaper that I started in 2013. I gave it a serious pruning when I first brought it in. It was basically a few stems and no leaves at all. I placed it in front of a south facing window and it quickly began to produce new growth.  It grew about 2 feet taller then it began putting out tons of blooms. I was concerned about it getting too big. I moved it next to the window instead of directly in front of it so it would get a little less sun. I also have not watered it at all since mid-October. The new growth came to a stop and all of the blooms have fallen off. It isn't dropping any leaves and it still looks very healthy. I believe that it just went dormant. 

Reaper_zps86131bee.jpg

I also have some seedlings that I have started. I started my "Volcano in a Box" seeds on January 2nd. To see how that is going just follow this link.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43561-volcano-in-a-box/

Right now I currently have a few seedling going that are not part of the ViaB. These seeds were planted on January 8th and they include:

Chocolate, yellow, peach and orange Bhut's from Semillas La Palma
Brain Strain from David Cappiello and Baker's Peppers
Bih Jolokia and Bhut Indian Carbon from Pepperlover
Carolina Reaper from my own saved seeds
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion MS Strain from Butch T

Seedlings_zps52fad333.jpg

I have some lights to grow them under but they are at a different location. With the record cold temperatures that we are having right now, I don't want to take a chance moving them.

I also have some other seeds planted but I'll get to that later. Right now I am hungry.

That reaper will be enormous this year.

Good luck with the grow. More planting room in Hillsboro as opposed to Covington I presume?

Well, it's been a while since I have updated my glog. 
This is more or less what I have growing right now.

5 Peach Ghost
3 Sweet Apple
2 Bishop's Crown
2 Jay's Peach
9 Carolina Reaper
3 Red Bhut
7 Bubblegum
2 Urfa Biber
1 Trinidad Perfume
2 Santa Fe Grande
2 Indian Carbon Bhut
1 Red Moruga
2 Naga Morich
2 Chocolate Bhut
2 Orange Scotch Bonnet
1 Chaguana
2 Bih Jolokia
3 Yellow Bhut
2 Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
4 Brain Strain
2 Orange Bhut
1 Peter (lol)
1 Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion
1 Aleppo
1 Trinidad Scorpion
1 Giant Ghost

I have a few things that haven't sprouted yet and I also plan on planting a bunch of Jalapenos

Now my focus is turning to my tomatoes and flowers also.

I'm going to attempt to sell off a few of my plants because I just don't need this many. It was also my intentions at the start to try to sell a few to fund the garden. 

Spring is almost here and I am  very excited to get going on this year's growing season!!!!

Happy Gardening my friends!

Here is my Carolina Reaper overwintered plant. I named her Carol Anne. The left pic was taken on January 25th and the right pic was taken on March 8th. Not much change as you can see except on the right side. The branch closest to the window is starting to grow and has a dozen blooms on it right now. She has been sitting next to a south facing window all winter. I'm going to move her directly in front of the window in a couple of days. I'm also going to start watering her again. I haven't watered her since mid October. I'm not sure if I should prune her again before I set her out. Any opinions?

Reaper3_zpsdf1cb8ee.jpg

On a sad note, there was a casualty. One of my Trinidad Scorpions took a quick turn for the worst. I don't know what happened but I immediately removed it. It appears to be an isolated incident thus far.

fatality_zps285f7731.jpg

Three of this year's babies. From left to right;
Carolina Reaper grown from my own saved seeds
Peach Bhut from Semillas La Palma seeds
Red Bhut from Pepper Joe seeds

March82014_zps4a955032.jpg

Here are some of my plants after being under my fluorescent lights for a month.

March212014-2_zps002e4547.jpg

********************************************************************************************************************************
Here is my Butch T Trinidad Scorpion MS Strain. Seeds from Butch T.

ButchTMS3-22-14_zps3a8323d9.jpg

**********************************************************************************************

Here are six of my seven Bubblegum plants

Bubblegum3-21-14_zpsf654de08.jpg

******************************************************************************************************

Here are my Brain Strain plants. The two on the left are from seeds from David Cappiello and the two on the right are grown from Baker's Seeds.

BrainStrain3-21-14_zps34fac421.jpg

***************************************************************************************
This is one of my Bih Jolokia plants. Seeds from PepperLover. There is a mysterious guest that has begun growing among my chile's. I think I am gonna just let it grow and see what it is going to be. I'm certain it is not a chile.

BihJolokia_zpsf4669998.jpg

**********************************************************************************************************

Good luck on your grow this year, those reapers look beautiful.  I'm growing those reaper seeds you gave me last year.  How old are your sprouts?

Jeff H said:
Looking good 85.

Thank you. 

jedisushi06 said:
Good luck on your grow this year, those reapers look beautiful.  I'm growing those reaper seeds you gave me last year.  How old are your sprouts?

The Reapers seedlings are about two months old. I planted the seeds on Jan. 2nd but most of them took about 3 weeks to sprout.
unk3390 said:
Phew, looks great in here and that's a huge reaper.  Did you overwinter it in the window the whole season?

I actually overwintered it right next to that window. After I brought it in and pruned it, the plant started growing really fast again. I didn't want to give it too much direct light in hopes that it would go dormant.

Looking good!

That OW Reaper should kick right in and load up!

I saved one from last season and it hit dirt this week.

Good luck this season!

I decided to top a couple of my seedlings. Here is my Reaper.

BEFORE

ReaperB4Topping4-9-14_zps34a7ffac.jpg

AFTER
ReaperAfterTopping4-9-14_zps8ba1d78c.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is one of my Peach Bhut's
BEFORE
PeachB4Topping4-9-14_zpsb957d793.jpg

AFTER
PeachAfterTopping4-9-14_zpsd3064983.jpg

Ocho Cinco said:
A Butch T MS Strain. About 3 or 4 more weeks until it goes outside on a permanent basis.

ButchTMS4-13-14_zps5d3d4e2a.jpg

Yep. Mother's day is right around the corner.

A bunch of my bigger plants have been out since Friday. They have to come in tomorrow evening thanks to the crappy weather Tuesday and Wed.
That Scorpion looks very nice.

Here is one of my Peach Bhut's. I topped it about 10 days ago and then I pruned off the bigger leaves a couple of days ago. It's really beginning to branch out now. It's pretty short now but as you can see it has a very strong main stem. I'm expecting good things from this plant. 
Untitled_zps0ab61c50.jpg

These are my plants in one of my south facing windows. 
From left to right;
Peach Bhut (topped and pruned)
Carolina Reaper (topped and pruned)
"Blueberries" tomato
Red Bhut
Peter Pepper
Aleppo

SouthFacingWindow14_zps793c2ee3.jpg

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here are some of my plants that are grown in a west facing window.
From Left to right;
Jay's Peach Ghost
Urfa Biber
Sweet Apple
CGN21500
Sweet Apple
Luffa

EastFacingWindow14_zpsee5d7a49.jpg

I'm terrible about updating my glog. Well, anyway here is an update. Here are a few of my Carolina Reapers.

This is one that I am growing from my own seed that I harvested last year. This plant is companion planted with a couple of Purple Podded Pole beans.
ReapersDK_zpsfe576feb.jpg

This Reaper is companion planted with some Yellow Clover that I harvested from my yard.
ReapersDK2_zpsf84aff26.jpg

This Reaper is planted with a couple of Dwarf French Marigolds.
Reaper5-31-14_zpsa1e43381.jpg

This is my overwintered Carolina Reaper from 2013 (Pepper Joe seeds). It is in a much larger pot this year. I'm guessing it is in the 20 - 25 gallon range. It is companion planted with some White Clovers, Basil, Petunias and Marigolds.
Overwinter_zps925d11e7.jpg

More pics and updates to come......hopefully soon.

Back