• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Odd looking Tangerine Dream

This doesn't seem anything like the pic, any guesses what I might have?

tangerine drm.JPG

I love surprises!!!

skullbiker said:
 I think you have a variation of Purple Beauty bell pepper.

Thanks SkullBiker!! Looking at the page you linked it says it has four lobes, but googling Purple Beauty I find pic's of it with a single lobe like mine. Interesting, most of the pic's I'm seeing have single and multiple lopes on the same plant but all on mine at the moment are all single.

DanMcG said:
Just to bring some closer to this thread I picked the largest one and opened it up. I guess it's a bell. no heat and no flavor. hopefully if I let the rest of them mature they'll have some flavor.

Thanks for playing along, Heh heh, some of us are just happy to be allowed in!

I agree on Bell. I've grown too many of the purple bastiges, and you did say no flavor, right?

The irritating purple cooks off of 'em, they go back to green, and thankfully without contaminating your recipe with....that color...

Nevermind me, too many purple Bells, I guess....

Just a odd update on this basically tasteless Bell. It seems to want to grow what looks like a Jalapeno. 

pur bell.jpg

Never a dull moment here. If i'm lucky maybe it will have some flavor to it. lol

What have I learned from this mislabeled pepper? One thing I learned is, if it starts off purple it will change when it ripens. What I can't understand is how can one pepper go from purple to brown.

purp brown bell.JPG

and another one go from purple to red? On the same plant. 

purp red bell.JPG

The red one didn't go thru a brown phase just straight to red. 
Sad thing is, it still doesn't have much flavor 

Brown can sometimes be a transition colour before turning red. I have a plant that does this. Often it turns red so fast that I don't see much brown but sometimes the whole pepper turns brown before starting to turn red.

Back