• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Odd stem..from tiny to huge

QuadShotz

Banned
Well, this Chocolate Hab is the one that I got after surviving being scalded, soil pests and such stuff. It's happy as a clam now and getting big, about 7" tall with 3"x2.5" leaves.

I was doing some maintenace today and picking off the near-dead old leaves off my plants so they can spend energy on growth rather than saving half-dead bottom leaves and discovered this:

S6301320.JPG

My guess is that the small part is from when it was sick, and now it's healthy and going nuts..but does having that small lower stem pose a problem?

I'd hate for it to grow up, start fruiting and break in half from the weight ya know?

Pehaps I should stake it or something?

I may just try to mound up dirt to cover it to that point..might be easier.

Thx,

-QS

Thats 100% Normal, all my plants did that, and they bulk up a TON later on, and are now a half an inch thick all the way up to where it forks.

Before:
Thick_Stem.jpg

After:
Pic0183.jpg

There's a mechanism in plants called Phytochrome. the Phytochrome is basically a form of pigment sensitive to two types of red - 660nm~ and 730nm~. The Phytochrome's main role in chiles is seperating natual shades from ones caused by other plants. in Photosynthesis most of the close red light (660nm~) is absorbed, while the distant red light (730nm~) usually stays the same. when the ratio is low (0.01/0.8), the plant "knows" another plant is covering it. this tells the plant to put all of its energy in growing up. meaning a thin, tall and minimal growth, with the goal of reaching the sun. when the ratio is high the growth should be normal, but when the distant light is relativelly missing, it may cause a bulky growth.

Yours seem quite healthy, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Omri said:
There's a mechanism in plants called Phytochrome. the Phytochrome is basically a form of pigment sensitive to two types of red - 660nm~ and 730nm~. The Phytochrome's main role in chiles is seperating natual shades from ones caused by other plants. in Photosynthesis most of the close red light (660nm~) is absorbed, while the distant red light (730nm~) usually stays the same. when the ratio is low (0.01/0.8), the plant "knows" another plant is covering it. this tells the plant to put all of its energy in growing up. meaning a thin, tall and minimal growth, with the goal of reaching the sun. when the ratio is high the growth should be normal, but when the distant light is relativelly missing, it may cause a bulky growth.

Yours seem quite healthy, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Intresting indeed Omri as ever nice info,Quad mine have been scalded,got wholes in from the rain..just starting to flower and bulk out your day will come ;)

Same happened to my Dedo De Moca after moving it from under lights to the window sill, but when it was already taller, so mounting up soil was outta question. I used a couple of stakes and it's still growing well and the stem is at its thickest in the middle of the plant now, looks funny!

Thx omri, thats pretty neat to know and makes perfect sence.

Weird that it's the only plant like that.

It was outside as a baby b4 I got it and quite leggy, then suburnt and damanged.
The height where I put it under my EcoGrow lights and nursed it back matches up with the change in the stem. I really like these lights... :)

thx all,

QS

Well Chinenses have the tendency to get all bulky, that might have something to do with Phytochrome concentration.
My habs got REALLY short and bulky under pure blue light. scary stuff.

What really makes me think I'm right is the extremely obvious growth pattern the upper half has. much more like the typical vegetative growth you get when having a balanced spectrum, or at least something close.

I'm currently working on an artificial spectrum designed to create freakishly big and strong plants. seem to work so far.

rainbowberry said:
How come you use lights Omri when you have such nice weather? Is it an experimental thing/interest? xx

Must admit Omri i wondered that to after seeing your website on light usage for Hydro systems :rolleyes:

rainbowberry said:
How come you use lights Omri when you have such nice weather? Is it an experimental thing/interest? xx
talas said:
Must admit Omri i wondered that to after seeing your website on light usage for Hydro systems :rolleyes:
You guys have a REALLY short memory, eh? well most of the year it's all sunny and bright, but at winter time you can hardly see any sun. more like a crappy ambient light kinda thing. must prepare myself! ALSO the fact you have so much light, does not mean you can't have fun with some experiments! I'm also designing a spectrum to make things easier for the plants to flower early and healthy. I'm also using a Pfr spectrum to encourage more and faster germination. light has so much uses to it!

Interesting.

Just FYI..here's the other plants.

These plants came from my friend, who today said his plants outside are twice as tall, but not as bushy and compact as mine. I bet the short internodal growth and huge leaves will just rock for future growth & pepper production. :-)

And, that runt Jala..is turning into a monster. It's got 3-4 peppers on it, one is about 3" long already and still buds/flowering.

pics:

(sorry pics are a bit off color and blown highlights, it's night here, and those lights really confuse the camera.)

S6301325.JPG

S6301326.JPG

S6301329.JPG

Those Fatalis have leaves almost as long as the plant is tall. And the Dorset is growing beautifully now too.

I'm happy for it being my first year with peppers. Thx all for lal the knowledge and support. You rock!

Oh I spaced the bulbs' name..it's EcoLux.
Here's the specs for ya.

I have't been able to find the color charts for it, but it says it's a spread-spectrum. (it's a descendant of the EcoGrow lights my mom used in the '70s though, and does show as an obvious purple to the eye)

Cheers,

QS

Back