pests Of leaves and bugs

I hava a few plants with leaves that are crunching up like this.

null_zpsedb00c6a.jpg

null_zpscc0bf6a0.jpg

null_zps8ec58bfc.jpg

Im thinking overwatering or fert burn.

Or both..
They sustained some wind and rainndamage during a sudden storm.

As I was inspecting them today, found these guys.

null_zps6f1a98d8.jpg

null_zpsbf444255.jpg

Didnt want to disturb them until I knew if they weer beneficial in some way or should I bring out the sevin?

I`d say too much water. I think the mis-shapen new leaves are because they got too wet and the water sat there during growth. 

The second insect is a leaf-hopper and they feed on plant juices. I think the first one is a leaf-hopper assassin bug., but I`m not certain.

IThanks.

I have since been doing some research and found that it is called an asparagur beetle. dont know if it is harmful to the plant as all the information online suggests damage to asparagus.

No, the puckering is not from overwatering, it's from fert burn. It is the very first sign of fert burn; later stages are much worse. Ideally flush your plants with plain water, and just use water the next several waterings. When you do return to using ferts, use about 1/4 the amount you have been using, at least until new leaves appear and grow big enough to tell they'll be smooth again. The leaves that have experienced burn will likely not smooth back out.

Yellowing is the most common first sign of overwatering, which I don't see in your plants. However, you may still be keeping them too wet. Look at the surface of the soil - it seems rather brown. (Most potting/starter soil looks closer to black in photos.) If your medium didn't start out that brown, you may have the beginnings of damping off, which is a fungus that starts at the soil line. Damping off usually kills plants. Look at the base of the plants right where they meet the soil - does the stem look weak at all? If not, good, but I'd still suggest preventive measures. First, scrape the surface of the medium to remove as much of that brown as you can. Then spray the surface of the soil with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water for several days in a row. Also, if you don't already have a fan on your plants, add one to keep the air circulating. Finally, start bottom-watering (if you aren't already), and ensure the water does not reach the medium's surface. 

Also, try to determine when to water based on the weight of the plant and pot. They should feel rather light when you pick them up, and certainly lighter than when you first water. Don't rely on feeling the soil - your fingers can't get to where they need to be.

Best wishes for your grow!

geeme said:
No, the puckering is not from overwatering, it's from fert burn. It is the very first sign of fert burn; later stages are much worse. Ideally flush your plants with plain water, and just use water the next several waterings. When you do return to using ferts, use about 1/4 the amount you have been using, at least until new leaves appear and grow big enough to tell they'll be smooth again. The leaves that have experienced burn will likely not smooth back out.

Yellowing is the most common first sign of overwatering, which I don't see in your plants. However, you may still be keeping them too wet. Look at the surface of the soil - it seems rather brown. (Most potting/starter soil looks closer to black in photos.) If your medium didn't start out that brown, you may have the beginnings of damping off, which is a fungus that starts at the soil line. Damping off usually kills plants. Look at the base of the plants right where they meet the soil - does the stem look weak at all? If not, good, but I'd still suggest preventive measures. First, scrape the surface of the medium to remove as much of that brown as you can. Then spray the surface of the soil with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water for several days in a row. Also, if you don't already have a fan on your plants, add one to keep the air circulating. Finally, start bottom-watering (if you aren't already), and ensure the water does not reach the medium's surface. 

Also, try to determine when to water based on the weight of the plant and pot. They should feel rather light when you pick them up, and certainly lighter than when you first water. Don't rely on feeling the soil - your fingers can't get to where they need to be.

Best wishes for your grow!

Thanks Geeme! Actually the potting soil I use is a coco mix so, yeah it is a kind of brown / light brown color when dry and a bit darker when watered. I have it mixed 50/50 with perlite and drainage is excellent and has good moisture retention. I am going to bottom water them from now on, and for as long as feasible, to be proactive anyways and prevent damping off and fungus gnats.

Related to using too much fertilizer, the puckered leaves can also be a sign of calcium deficiency. When plants are over fertilized, they stop taking up nutrients because they don't need any more nitrogen which is abundant in fertilizers. Since they aren't up-taking nutrients, they don' t get the calcium they need and the leaves start to pucker. Next stage of calcium deficiency is worse. Feed the plant water for a while and look at the new growth. Damaged leaves from calcium deficiency can't be fixed. 

Back