• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Off limit varieties???

I plan on breeding some peppers this summer and I'm curious how many can't freely be used. I know that the Carolina Reaper and Red Savina are on that list. Are there others?

You can grow and use any pepper you feel like. If you can get seeds, you can grow them. Peppers are NOT trademarked, regardless of what you may have read. Some growers try to trademark names and claim ownership, but it's so loose, it would never hold up in court just because you grew them. Grow what you want, and spit in the eye of anyone that tells you that you can't... they'll sell you seeds and claim ownership of your crops. EFF THEM!

Is it mostly them just trying to hold the market on them then? I wouldn't want to use the Red Savina anyway (just a personal taste thing) but I like the idea of playing with some of the super hots.

ive never known any hot, super hot or other pepper to be off limits.  
where did you get the idea any hot pepper was off limits, if you dont mind me asking.

and i agree with buzz, anyone who tells you other wise, tell them to fahk right off

edit: if you really want to be a sneaky s.o.b. order some fresh pods, and grow the seeds from them, id like to see anyone try to stop you!!!

what seeds do you want?   go to pepperlover.com and get the seeds you want, you will not be disappointed i promise you that. and if she dont have what you want, send her a message and ask her about it on here

Names can be trademarked (sorta... how do you control nature?), but fruits cannot. Ever see someone try to trademark a tomato? I think I know where this is coming from. But rest assured, you can feel free to order, grow, and regrow seeds from your peppers as you see fit.

Well, good. I'm glad to see the craziness that surrounds ornamental (landscape type) plants doesn't cross into the garden too much. 

magicpepper said:
ive never known any hot, super hot or other pepper to be off limits.  
where did you get the idea any hot pepper was off limits, if you dont mind me asking.

and i agree with buzz, anyone who tells you other wise, tell them to fahk right off

edit: if you really want to be a sneaky s.o.b. order some fresh pods, and grow the seeds from them, id like to see anyone try to stop you!!!
To the edit, I have done that, but with Black Beauty Eggplant. A grower that sells at the local farmers market only grew that one variety last year.

This is what gave me the idea that there may be varieties that were somewhat untouchable   http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/04/17/303772556/plant-breeders-release-first-open-source-seeds

Bhut_Trolokia said:
I think the area that is off limits is selling anything of the Red Savina or Carolina Reaper plants and pods under the exact same name.
you know how many people do that though, and they are not affiliated with ed currie (reaper) and Frank Garcia (red savina). they bought the seeds, grew them and are now selling them, just as that, 
Ben1287 said:
Well, good. I'm glad to see the craziness that surrounds ornamental (landscape type) plants doesn't cross into the garden too much. 

To the edit, I have done that, but with Black Beauty Eggplant. A grower that sells at the local farmers market only grew that one variety last year.

This is what gave me the idea that there may be varieties that were somewhat untouchable   http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/04/17/303772556/plant-breeders-release-first-open-source-seeds
i have never heard of any seeds or veggies ect... being patented, this must be the work of monsanto.... its not right for big companies like that to hold patents on seeds, and food for the general public. that is just ridiculous and absurd in my opinion.  how ever, hot peppers as far as i know are not patented and you can grow, and cross breed and invent your own super hot if you want to, so, no worries, there is no off limit peppers (unless owned by monsanto) so you can grow what you want. and the biggest thing, is to have FUN doing it

HABANERO RED SAVINA® - extremely hot; Habanero Type; 1.5 to 2.5 inches long by 1 to 1.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Very Late Season (90+ days); **Cross Country Nurseries is a licensed grower of the Red Savina® Habanero (PVP 9200255). Transplants are provided for the home gardener. Seeds from these peppers can not be legally saved to sell to others. You must plan to use these peppers for your own use.; C.chinense.

SMOKIN' ED'S CAROLINA REAPER® - super hot; Habanero Elongated Type; 2 to 3 inches long by 1 to 1.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 30 to 36 inches tall; Extremely Late Season (120+ days); Here it is, 2013 Guinness Book record holder for the world's hottest pepper, averaging 1.569 million on the Scoville Scale!! **Cross Country Nurseries is a licensed grower of Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper®. Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is trademark-protected. Pepper pods and/or seeds from these peppers cannot be legally sold to others. You must plan to use these peppers for your own use.; C.chinense.

^ That's what is says from the online vendor I bought my plants from.

Spicy Mushroom said:
HABANERO RED SAVINA® - extremely hot; Habanero Type; 1.5 to 2.5 inches long by 1 to 1.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Very Late Season (90+ days); **Cross Country Nurseries is a licensed grower of the Red Savina® Habanero (PVP 9200255). Transplants are provided for the home gardener. Seeds from these peppers can not be legally saved to sell to others. You must plan to use these peppers for your own use.; C.chinense.

SMOKIN' ED'S CAROLINA REAPER® - super hot; Habanero Elongated Type; 2 to 3 inches long by 1 to 1.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 30 to 36 inches tall; Extremely Late Season (120+ days); Here it is, 2013 Guinness Book record holder for the world's hottest pepper, averaging 1.569 million on the Scoville Scale!! **Cross Country Nurseries is a licensed grower of Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper®. Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® is trademark-protected. Pepper pods and/or seeds from these peppers cannot be legally sold to others. You must plan to use these peppers for your own use.; C.chinense.

^ That's what is says from the online vendor I bought my plants from.
is that from cross country nurseries?  because im on puckerbutts website as we all know ed currie and i see no mention of it being illegal to sell or trade his reaper and no mention of the pod, plant or seed being trade marked, the name is trade marked i know that much.

Buzz said:
I think it's a Pepper Joe thing....
probably, but it does say cross country nurseries in there thats why i asked,   does Frank Garcia have a website, he is the one who created the red savina, i want to see what it says on his site about the breed and legalities of it. cause from what i can see ed curries makes no mention of it, and doesnt care what we do with it, the entire world knows he is the creator of it, and gives him credit where its due.
Buzz said:
And he knows that can't hold up in court. It's a seed. It's not his creation. Joe can't claim it as his own. I'd like to see it go to court
not even the guy who created it has a leg to stand on, cause if you want to get right down to it, where did his cross come from and who owns those breeds and so forth, cant claim what mother nature invented, we can only improve and perfect.

This was from chileplants dot com. Where I ordered all my plants from this season. Interestingly enough on the Pepper Joe site it says the Reaper is exclusively sold on Pepper Joes and Puckerbutt. Yet I ordered a live Carolina Reaper from chileplants dot com.

Spicy Mushroom said:
This was from chileplants dot com. Where I ordered all my plants from this season. Interestingly enough on the Pepper Joe site it says the Reaper is exclusively sold on Pepper Joes and Puckerbutt. Yet I ordered a live Carolina Reaper from chileplants dot com.
yea its not just him, buckeye is a vendor of the reaper seeds as well, right from ed currie to, its on the puckerbutt website under puckerbuddies, there is a lot of people selling the seeds and they all came from ed, or ed has given them seeds to plant so they could grow them out and harvest the seeds and pods to sell. pepperjoe hasnt updated or changed his thing, and if you keep looking on pepper joes site, he even puts ed currie down, calling him incompetent and such a new business he cant keep up with it and has made thousands of mistakes or something like that, i read it right after i read " the Reaper is exclusively sold on Pepper Joes and Puckerbutt".   
oh and as far as i can tell the only reason monsanto has copy rights and that over the seeds, is because they used science, genetics, and modified those breeds like no other breed in the world, now if ed, or frank or any other chili head out there was able to get there hands on the same stuff that monsanto has, and was to genetically alter the pepper and create a new variety that way, then they could claim a copy right and all that. but simply cross breeding until you get the desired effect does not cut it, to get a patent anyway, cause bees do it all the time.   thats just my opinion and 2 cents worth or rambling!!! 
ben1287 grow any hot pepper you want, cross them, make new breeds and share with the world buddy!! i got your back!  :lol:

Maybe I might receive some flak from this, but this is my humble opinion: I think people should have a five year respect of a growers creation, which is quite modest. Meaning a grower who produced a truly unique pepper should have five years to sell the seeds exclusively, without anyone else making money off the hard work that took in creating that particular variation. If its traded or given away like on THP, then it should be fine. One who buys the seeds can grow it out all they want without any restrictions, as long as they don't sell the seeds or plants. After the five year period then its open to all to sell. That way if something really unique is created, one can make some money and make it worth their time and effort, and thus rewarded financially. If there is nothing to stop other vendors from copying it and selling it, then what is the incentive for creating it in the first place? Also, one has to ask if should one not be rewarded financially for their hard work, intelligence and creativity? I understand its a fine line, but I try to see both sides, and understand how one would feel if it could just be duplicated and sold, and thus the financial rewards for such a creation stopped existing, or is greatly diminished due to competition. It goes back to the idea of entrepreneurship, and the risks verses rewards. If someone can just come in and ride your coattails financially off your time, intelligence and creativity, then what is the point? I do agree that many do it for the love of it, but its simply unfair for someone to put all that effort into something that another profits from. That is a killer of innovation. Our progression can be stifled by such action, and oftentimes the underlying cause of these things go unnoticed. Look at the difference between nations that have major tech advantages and ones whom still tech. speaking, are hundreds of years behind. You will find one of two basic principles(I understand there is a lot more to it, but bear with me) that propel growth and advancement, one is the protection of intellectual property and the rewards of such work, and the opposing force is growth and development by force or fear. The former is much more successful than the latter in my opinion. When governments destroy the ability of one to reap the benefits of inventions, it can create a atmosphere where no innovations or inventions exist. By destroying the incentive,  you can destroy the very foundation of innovation. We as humans are inherently selfish, and want gain and recognition for our creations(rightfully so), and if you kill that, then you kill the goose who lays the golden egg.
Finally, I do agree that you can grow out any plant you want, just have respect for the person whom might have worked hard to make such a cross and don't make money off of it, thus diluting their gain. If its a bad a$$ creation, well show some respect by purchasing seeds from the original creator and show some patronage.

AaronTT said:
Maybe I might receive some flak from this, but this is my humble opinion: I think people should have a five year respect of a growers creation, which is quite modest. Meaning a grower who produced a truly unique pepper should have five years to sell the seeds exclusively, without anyone else making money off the hard work that took in creating that particular variation. If its traded or given away like on THP, then it should be fine. One who buys the seeds can grow it out all they want without any restrictions, as long as they don't sell the seeds or plants. After the five year period then its open to all to sell. That way if something really unique is created, one can make some money, and make it worth their time and effort, and thus rewarded financially. If there is nothing to stop other vendors from copying it and selling it, then what is the incentive for creating it in the first place? Also, one has to ask, should one not be rewarded financially for their hard work, intelligence and creativity? I understand its a fine line, but I try to see both sides, and understand how one would feel if it could just be duplicated and sold, and thus the financial rewards for such a creation stopped existing, or is greatly diminished due to competition. It goes back to the idea of entrepreneurship, and the risks verses rewards. If someone can just come in and ride your coattails financially off your time, intelligence and creativity, then what is the point? I do agree that many do it for the love of it, but its simply unfair for someone to put all that effort into something that another profits from. That is a killer of innovation. Our progression can be stifled by such action, and oftentimes the underlying cause of these things go unnoticed. Look at the difference between nations that have major tech advantages and ones whom still tech. speaking, are hundreds of years behind. You will find one of two basic principles(I understand there is a lot more to it, but bear with me) that propel growth and advancement, one is the protection of intellectual property and the rewards of such work, and the opposing force is growth and development by force or fear. The former is much more successful than the latter in my opinion. When governments destroy the ability of one to reap the benefits of inventions, it can create a atmosphere where no innovations or inventions exist. By destroying the incentive,  you can destroy the very foundation of innovation. We as humans are inherently selfish, and want gain and recognition for our creations(rightfully so), and if you kill that, then you kill the goose who lays the golden egg.
Finally, I do agree that you can grow out any plant you want, just have respect for the person whom might have worked hard to make such a cross and don't make money off of it, thus diluting their gain. If its a bad a$$ creation, well show some respect by purchasing seeds from the original creator and show some patronage.
i totally agree with this, the creator should have his/her moment in glory and make their money off of it 100%, but ill add that if the creator decides that he/she wants to give seed to another person or company to sell the seeds/pods/plants as well, then they forfeit some of that patronage. but also at the same time, not a lot of people are looking to create these new strains to make money, they want the fame and glory of being the guy who created the worlds hottest pepper.

sure its nice to make a few bucks for your hard work, but when you go down in history as creating the next worlds hottest pepper, and enter the Guinness book of world records. that right there gives all the patronage and fame and even fortune one could ever ask for.

but you, me or the next guy working on a strain of peppers could end up in there as well
but lets say you just created the next worlds hottest pepper, and released it to the public today, whats not to say in a week some other chili head creates one thats even hotter then yours, and then a month later another one, and so forth, either way no matter what you do there is always going to be a better or hotter one coming out right after yours or even before yours, and no matter what some one is always going to want to buy your breed, from you. i purchased my carolina reaper seeds from ed at puckerbutt. if i find them some where else cheaper, ill buy them from there as well. 

(and yes i know it takes a few years to create a strain and run through all the generations until you get a stable one)

I purchased Carolina Reaper seeds from PuckerButt as well. I ordered one packet of those seeds, and 3 other varieties. I got the four packets I ordered AND 2 extra packets of Carolina Reaper seeds! Ed seems like a good guy and his business practices (from what I've seen) reflect that. I also think the reaper gave him all the fame he needs to be successful for quite some time. If I do use the reaper to my advantage it will be to produce crosses that benefit from its unique qualities. aka it will be at least 5 years before I have anything to share anyway.

Kind of mirroring what Magicpepper said, I think there is risk involved in the business of creating new strains and people know that no matter how good your chances are there is always the very real possibility that someone will beat you to it. For now I'm just doing it for fun. 

Back