• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Off the Heat Pad When?

Only my 2nd year at this and have an old man's feeble memory. Do I remove the trays from the heat pad once I have sprouts germinated?

My gratitude for any input!

Fr. Jeff+

Hey there Padre! I was wondering where you had been. As far as the heating pad goes, I normally take them off once they start their first set of true leaves. It seems like the heat can be detrimental to their growth once the roots start getting deeper in the growth medium. It is possible some folks have had different experiences, but these are my observations.

If I have the ability to indiviually move them I will do it as soon as they break the surface. If not, I wait until there are a good amount in the flat (over 70%) that are up and then move them off. The heat and moisture can be a bad combo.

my annuums that sprouted in January are off the heated mat but my chinenses are still on and covered with a dome to ensure higher humidity levels, i usually add about a 1/4 cup of water twice a day to keep the humidity levels up. once and awhile, i remove the dome for the afternoon to allow the soil to dry.

I remove them from the humidity tray once they pop and are a nice green and re pot em. Ive notice when Ive left em in there, they become good canidates for mold and damping off.

Back