• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Bigfat's 8o8 Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce

Product Name: Bigfat's 8o8 Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce

Style: Naga jolokia hot sauce

Manufacturer: Bigfat's Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Water, onion, tomatoes, habanero peppers, habanero mash, naga jolokia powder, spices, lime juice concentrate, ancho chili powder, sea salt.

Label/Packaging: Very cool eye-catching label concept. 1o8, 2o8, 8o8 etc. Nice color contrast, my favorite part of the label however is the instructions, 1. Shake it, 2. Use it, 3. Love it.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this is a little menacing. It looks thick and full of fury. I can see lots of spices, and pepper skins. The aroma is strong of peppers, but also a bit smoky. It is enticing, and menacing as well

8o8 is not tropical, this is subtropical... way down, like the gates of hell down. The aroma and appearance are a precursor to the evil about to be bestowed on you. This sauce is not for the weak.

Body of Review:
Jeremy Walsh of Bigfat's contacted me about reviewing some of his sauces. I have to tell you I had never heard of Bigfat's before. Turns out he has been honing his craft since the 90s. The company is based in Chicago, but the sauces were mostly developed in Hawaii. In trying his pineapple habanero sauce 6o8 I can tell why, but that is another story for another review. 8o8 is not tropical, this is subtropical... way down, like the gates of hell down. The aroma and appearance are a precursor to the evil about to be bestowed on you. This sauce is not for the weak.

Upon tasting it, I immediately got that smokiness that I smelled. Still not sure where that comes from. Is it the powders? The Ancho maybe? The ingredients in this remind me of stuff I put in a pot of chili. Hmmm... I bet this sauce would be good in a bowl of red! There is a little twang from the mash, but it's more about the spices. It says on the label that there is a blend of Indian spices in there. It is hard to pin point what they are, but I am pretty sure I taste garlic, cardamom, coriander, and maybe paprika. I also see black pepper in there. Whatever it is, it works. This is not a slather-all-over-your-food sauce though. This is a ripper!

The heat does not hesitate. You get mere seconds to enjoy that medley of spices and ingredients before the heat belts you right in the kisser. It starts and stays right on the tip of your tongue and if you are adventurous and eat more, it gets you in the throat. The nose starts running and sweat starts running out of everywhere. It tastes so good though! So I go back for more. More sweating. Ok just one more taste. More sweating. Endorphin rush. Oh yeaaaahhhhh. Big heat, big flavor... Bigfat's.
Heat Level: 9.5

Applications: I think this is one best used as an ingredient. I think it would be excellent in chili or mixed with other sauces such as BBQ, or with wings as I did here.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 3.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 5

Overall Score: 4.4

Notes: My only real issue with this sauce is the mouthfeel. I think it could be a little smoother. Other than that it is everything it is advertised to be. Nice job.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 77
Thanks Brian. Looking forward to trying some of your new stuff at Bowers if you're going.

And thanks Jay for such a great write up. It's much appreciated We're happy we could light you up for a bit!

I'll be at Bower's too. I want to try more of your line. I really enjoy the 5 of 8 Pineapple Hab sauce. In fact, I finished it already.

I read another review on this line of sauces - if I recall they did several. That plus this one and I'm convinced - they sounded really good. I'll have to order some.
:cheers:

From Bigfats site:
Of course it's gotta have heat but if it doesn't taste good, what's the point? I'm a firm believer that flavor comes first but I do love my chiles

Sounds like he took the words right out of my mouth. Just ordered the 6o8 (Pineapple/Hab) & the 3o8 (garlic ginger) can't wait to try 'em! :woohoo:

Back