• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: CaJohns Trindad Moruga Scorpion Hot Sauce

Product Name: CaJohns Trindad Moruga Scorpion Hot Sauce

Style: Caribbean

Manufacturer: CaJohns Fiery Foods

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chiles, Vinegar, Onion, Tomatoes, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Salt and Spices

Label/Packaging: CaJohn always has catchy labels. This one features an actual scorpion smack dab in the middle. The colors are great, the print is clear, the stock is bright. It also looks a little ominous. A glimpse of the impending doom.

Appearance/Aroma: The sauce is gorgeous. The color is deep and dark orange. You can see that this has a lot of peppers in it, but they are blended perfectly. The aroma is breathtaking. It only smells of peppers. Sweet and pungent at the same time.

Made with some of the hottest peppers on Earth, will I be able to bear the pain that Cajohns Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Sauce will bestow on me???

Body of Review:
Let me start my saying that I have been eating CaJohns hot sauces for probably fifteen years. He rarely makes a product that I do not like, but at the same time, he rarely makes a product that isn't damn near too hot to enjoy. Needless to say, I am a bit intimidated by this sauce. He gave it to me unlabeled last Summer at Peppers at the Beach when I asked if he had anything new for me to review. He has a quiet manner about him, but when he handed me this bottle, I swear I heard him chuckle.

At first taste, it is the chiles that you taste right away. Then the vinegar and onions. Then the chiles in the aftertaste with a touch of garlic. It has a definite freshness to it that I have come to expect from CaJohns. The man does everything first class. I bet he has a little band of villagers down in Trindad picking these peppers and then mashing them with their feet like a fine wine. The lemon juice brings out the brightness in the peppers. I don't know exactly what spices are in it, but I feel them more than I taste them.

The heat, ahh the heat... well it's there. A LOT of it. It hits you up front, in the back, on the sides, behind your head, under your eyes, in your garage, down the street at the bus stop, and anywhere else you may have had it. It wastes no time grabbing a hold of you and it is relentless. If you have ever experienced eating a raw moruga, this is what it feels like. This is what it tastes like. Damn you John! No wonder people are always running screaming from your Pain Station at the chile festivals.

Heat Level: 10

Applications: This does have a good flavor, but you have to eat it with food to enjoy it. I mean, I could eat it on chips, and lose weight. One chip every forty minutes or so. Seriously, I would use this on burgers, steaks, and tacos, or to crank the heat up in a chili, soup, or BBQ sauce. Right now I am dipping bites of a steak in it.

Appearance Score: 5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 3.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 5

Overall Score: 4.6

Notes: I think this is another hit for CaJohns in his marvelous line. My only complaint is that when eating the sauce straight, it has a little bit of grittiness from the spices. When eating it on food though (as I would recommend) you don't notice any of that.

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 83
  • spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 82
I picked up a bottle of this sauce last summer. Delicious, and extremely hot. I love it with rice and soy sauce... A little goes a loooong way. :)

I don't know why, but the Trinidad Moruga Sauce did not seem that hot to me. Certainly not as hot as many of his other products. I found Ignite, Scorch, Talon, Krakatoa, and Lethal Ingestion all to have more heat than the Moruga sauce.

Just had another pretty good helping of this sauce today. Lit me up pretty well. Obviously, my tolerance isn't as high as other members on this site, but this is probably the hottest non-extract sauce I have. [I actually only have one bottle of extract sauce, and it was a gift...] For me, this one is plenty hot... and as a bonus, it is all natural. :)

Back