• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Defcon Sauces Defense Condition 1

Product Name: Defcon Sauces Defense Condition 1

Style: Buffalo w/extract

Manufacturer: Defcon Sauces

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Aged Cayenne Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Peppers, Cream, White Wine Vinegar, Natural Favors and Pepper Extract

Label/Packaging: The label is a simple three color; white with black and red lettering. The Defcon biohazard logo is prominent and most of the print is block lettering. Nothing flashy. If you know what's inside, it doesn't need to be. Defcon's theme is the Defense Conditons 3 through Zero. Each sauce gets hotter as if a warning to your senses. You start out at Defcon 3 which is relatively mild and progress though each of the levels until you reach Defcon 1 which tells you that pain is imminent. Only the insane go farther which is Zero (special release only). Another review of that will come later. Those of us that dare try the Defcon One will have a fair understanding of what might come next.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is that of a typical wing sauce. It is thicker than a hot sauce, but not as thick as a BBQ sauce. It is bright orange. It's a wing sauce! The aroma is of cayenne and vinegar. It also smells a little buttery.

Body of Review:
This review is long overdue. John Dilley is a friend of mine and one of the people that I most enjoy in this Industry. I have been to his Defcon Days, seen him at multiple shows, and even participated in one of his Deathmatches. Recently someone asked me if I ever review something and don't like it. That got me to thinking, I can say yes I have tried sauces that I don't like particularly, but my job as a reviewer is to show the sauce for what it is and to be objective. While a sauce might not be my cup of tea, I try to show how it could be used and how some may enjoy it. This is not one of those sauces. This is my favorite wing sauce. I have no problem telling you that up front.

This sauce just screams chicken wings. It is just the right consistency with the cream in there. I know it doesn't have butter in it, but I swear I can taste some. The combination of the aged cayennes and the fresh cayennes is a good combination. The garlic is really not too prevalent. I know some may be turned off by this sauce simply because it has extract in it. I can tell you that THIS is nothing like any extract sauce you have had. It is made with a completely different process that contains no chemicals. Therefore, there is none of that nasty metallic aftertaste that you are used to. The heat is there from the start, but it's not intense. It builds as you eat. It is a warm all over your head heat. There will be sweating, but it is not so hot that you want to stop eating. For me, this is the perfect heat for a wing sauce. Of course, I have doctored this up with some DM MKII and some Cajun seasoning from time to time as that is my personal taste. This sauce is my everyday wing sauce, but every now and then I need to kick it up just a but more. If you are the same way, you can add some of his DM MKIV coming soon, or some Zero or Sludge. Either way, I suggest you get some of this sauce if you haven't had it. It will change the way you eat chicken wings forever.
Heat Level: 7

Applications: WINGS WINGS WINGS!!! I have also used this as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers, on breaded shrimp, in a Mexican tortilla soup, etc. But, this was born a wing sauce.

Appearance Score: 5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4.5

Overall Score: 4.9

Notes: Simply flawless. I did knock off .5 just because I could eat it just a hair hotter, but that is splitting hairs. Keep up the good work Creator.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 65
Outstanding review Jay. I got some Def 2 last month at Central Market down in Plano last month to have on standby for wings. Plah! I don't eat wings all that often. I'm thinking salmon wings!

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I bought a Super Uber Pack from DEFCON a few months ago. Unfortunately, I started with DL 1 and there's only a couple table spoons left. I've tapped the DL2 and haven't even opened DL3.
I love that stuff. You're right, "born a wing sauce". It's awesome on Pizza, and Mac-n-cheese too.

Great review Jay, as usual.

It is normally $8.50 for a 8oz bottle, but right now through the end of the year it is on sale for $7.25. Then there is the 32oz which goes for $25. (now $23.75) That's the one I always get.

Great review, I end up making my own wing sauces mainly because over the counter sauces are horrible or a TON of money!

I'll have to look into the 32 oz, but I will probably put in a half of stick of butter ;)

Great Review JayT and a testament to John's magic....IMO, the Creators wing sauces are the best I have tasted...and if you get some of his other products, like Death Mark or Zero, you can heat them up to any degree you want...

Great review, I end up making my own wing sauces mainly because over the counter sauces are horrible or a TON of money!

I'll have to look into the 32 oz, but I will probably put in a half of stick of butter ;)
I think you will find that you don't need the butter. The sauce has cream in it which gives it the same consistency as the sauces with the butter.

Just ordered a bottle of this from e-bay thanks to this review :)
Awesome! That is a compliment. Tells me I am doing my job well.
Great Review JayT and a testament to John's magic....IMO, the Creators wing sauces are the best I have tasted...and if you get some of his other products, like Death Mark or Zero, you can heat them up to any degree you want...
That's exact;y how I do it AJ. I like a combination of 1 & 2 with some DM MKII and some cajun seasoning. For me it is the perfect sauce. When I am feeling especially froggy, I add the zero.

I agree totally with this review and +1 for JayT for doing it justice. I love 1 + 2 as well mixed with DM MKII (since I am the only one who will go that hot in my house this bottle is going to last!) and for my family they love the 3 - which if I dont have 1 or 2 the 3 is tasty as hell I just kick it up with 7 pot powder and/or DM MKII - great product keep it up John

Thanks everyone for the good words. Our sale is going on until 12/31, so get 'em while they're hot (pun intended). Be on the lookout for a 'new' product coming out soon........

Back