• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Knepper's Peppers Seventh Circle Hot Sauce

Product Name: Knepper's Peppers Seventh Circle Hot Sauce

Style: Extreme Fruit Sauce

Manufacturer: Knepper's Peppers

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Pineapple, Strawberry, Yellow 7 Pod Peppers, Parsnip, Lemon Juice, Water, Brown Sugar.

Label/Packaging: This has interesting artwork, but for me the colors are all wrong. I don't picture hell being a gray place. I think a darker background with some brighter lettering might make it more eye catching.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this is interesting. While the sauce is kind of a dull yellowish-brown color, the consistency looks good. Upon opening the bottle the aroma is intense. The 7 Pod smell jumps right out of the bottle at you in a threatening way. You know you are in for something intense.

Well, this has my attention. Lets take our own trip to the Seventh Circle and see if this sauce can deliver the heat as promised...

Body of Review:
This is the latest and possibly the hottest product I have tried from Brian Knepper of Knepper's Peppers (I'll get to Johnny Scorpion in a later review). Brian, or Justaguy as he is known here at THP, has a knack for pairing peppers and fruit to make some wonderfully tasty creations. I have met the man in person and there is NO doubting the passion he puts into each of these sauces.

Upon reviewing the ingredients, this sounds like it is going to be delicious. I expect a sweet, smooth start with a building heat. That is exactly what you get for about ten seconds. The strawberries and pineapple meet you to start before the delicious, fruity yellow 7 pod makes its presence known. I am intrigued by the use of parsnip. I don't know if this is mainly used as a filler or if it lends a little to the flavor profile. I eat parsnips, but I usually expect to see them in a root veggie stew rather than a hot sauce. Interesting. I will have to think more about this.

As I mentioned before the aroma of this sauce is intense. So is the heat. It starts slow and steady kind of like a runaway train car that has come uncoupled at the yard. Slowly... slowly... slowly... building until before you know it, it is out of control and you don't know how to stop it. It is not unbearable, but it does not stop. This one burns right up front on the tip of my tongue. It is also a dripper. What I mean is you eat it and you will be dripping in sweat. I have been torn about how to use this sauce with food. Lets give a few things a try.

Heat Level: 9

Applications: I tried this sauce as a glaze on some pork loin chops and it is great for that, but probably too hot for most folks. I found that this one is delicious mixed with a bbq sauce or mayo. The flavor profile works with most proteins. I also love it with cheese.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 5

Overall Score: 4.5

Notes: The only real flaws I see in this sauce (and this is nit picking) is that the label could be a little more catchy and the color of the sauce could be a little brighter. Other than that, it is a great sauce. Another win for Knepper's Peppers.

Attachments

• bottle.png
    bottle.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 63
  • spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 53
Mmm with cheese. Never thought of that.
Great review Jay.

I want to hear more about this trip to heel and back with the scarred up chef!

As a fan of Knepper's Peppers sauces, I'm excited to give this one a try. Agreed - great review.

(ps - his cherry-smoked scorpion powder is no joke either!)

Totally agree - his cherry-smoked Scorp powder is really fantastic - I've had some for about a week and have used it on four dishes already. Intense heat without ruining the meal and incredible flavor. Haven't cracked open my 7th circle bottle yet as I'm nursing the Jimmy Scorpion sauce and loving it.

Good stuff- you won't be sorry... I posted a review last year somewhere in here.....an ace in the hole for seafood and pork especially.

I did a segment and put this stuff on a Twinkie. yea a Twinkie. even though it sounds crazy and it is. this sauce and a Twinkie complimented each other well. this sauce is surely in my top 10. great balance and you really captured the flavor of the 7's

I saw it and still am amazed you thought of a twinkie
the funny thing about that, the twinkle was my first choice for the segment and by looking at what bottles i had available to do it, this one fit the bill. i really wanted a fruit sauce and the only other fruit sauce i had was a hobby sauce i made with blueberries. anyway by process of elimination i happened to use 7th circle. luck found my way to now loving the occasional twinkle with a bit of this wonderful sauce. Im really glad i didn't go with another sauce to be honest. :P

Back