• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Nephew's Haba Java Dry Rub

Product Name: Nephew's Haba Java Dry Rub

Style: BBQ Rub

Manufacturer: Nephew's

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Brown Sugar, Coffee, Garlic Powder, Spices, Kosher Salt, Onion Powder, Paprika, Cocoa Powder, Chili Peppers.

Label/Packaging: I think this label is very cool. The dark brown makes you think coffee right away, but the cup of coffee with a habanero on the saucer is a humorous touch. Very clear lettering. Same devilish kid as their other products.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this rub is that it is finely ground, which I like, and very dark. The aroma when you open it is immediate COFFEE. I literally can't smell anything else. Well, you can tell that there is something there, but it is so faint that you can't distinguish it.

Body of Review:
I have seen a lot of coffee used in rubs at contests that I have seen on television, but I was skeptical about this one. The label works well for this product and the aroma is all coffee. The question is how's it gonna taste on my food. I first tasted it plain. Gotta tell you not too appealing. It tastes mostly of coffee. I do get a little salt taste and a little garlic. For it to be called Haba Java rub it has to have habanero in it right? Well if it does, I can't taste it. The good news is that I used this rub on some pork ribs and some steak and it is fantastic tasting on them. The coffee is something totally different for me, but it really does work! I tried it plain, but then added a BBQ sauce to it and together it is a real winner. It does need some more heat to become a go to for me, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by this rub.
Heat Level: 1

Applications: BBQ ribs, brisket, steak. Something hearty. This is not a dainty rub.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 4
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 5
Heat Accuracy Score: 1

Overall Score: 3.8

Notes: My biggest issue with this product is that it claims to have habanero heat and the heat is nonexistent. Other than that, it is a very good product and one that I am enjoying on my BBQ.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.png
    2.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 47
I had a mole sauce on enchiladas last night, could smell coffee in it. Was tasty. :)

I just saw Dylan from Nephews at Peppers at the Beach. I bought another bottle of this rub. He also let me taste his new and improved (see HOT) Jolokia BBQ sauce. It is very good. I hope he goes ahead and makes it a regular in his line.

Back