• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: PexPeppers HornetBOMB

Product Name: PexPeppers HornetBOMB

Style: Habanero sweet/hot sauce

Manufacturer: PexPeppers

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Red Habaneros, White Vinegar, Wildflower Honey, Lime Juice.

Label/Packaging: The label looks homemade, and is difficult to read due to the darkness. The graphics themselves aren't bad, but it's hard to make them out.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is good. The sauce appears to be well blended and lots of flecks of skins and pepper are visible when turning the bottle upside down and back upright. The aroma is nice. It smells sweet. Like a BBQ sauce.

PexPeppers presents HornetBOMB.  Will this sauce sting me?  Or will it bomb?

Body of Review:
PexPeppers has gone legit and now it is time that I put his sauces through the paces.  The first one I will review is HornetBOMB.  It is a habanero sauce with a lot of honey in it.  I like the aroma and the look of this sauce, but the taste is what gets me.  It is almost like a BBQ sauce because it is so sweet.  I think it is more of a hybrid hot/BBQ sauce than a true version of either.  It is a simple sauce with just four ingredients, and I think they work well together.  The habs jump out at you first, then the sweetness of the honey.  The vinegar balances it out, but does not overpower.  The texture is good, but there is one thing that I am not liking.  In tasting that spoonful, I spit out five very hard seeds onto a napkin.  This is a big pet peeve of mine.  Something simple that can be taken care of with a little bit of straining or better blending.  That being said, I really dig the taste of this sauce.

The heat is excellent.  It is hot enough to make me sweat a little, but not too hot that I can't slather it all over my food.  Since it is just habaneros, it really just hits me in the tongue and doesn't last at all, but I like that.  Now, what can I eat it on?

Heat Level: 7

Applications: The sauce is dynamite on burgers, dogs, shrimp, or anything where you would use BBQ sauce.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 3
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4

Notes: Lighten up the label, brighten the graphics and lettering, work on the consistency, and you will have a winner here. I like the taste, consistency (other than the seeds), aroma, and heat level. Also, it is very versatile with food. Overall, not a bad sauce.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 65
Sounds pretty good. I don't get the BBQ thing, you must eat a lot of honey BBQ sauces, Jay. But there's no tomato, mustard, molasses, spices... or any tell-tale BBQ ingredients here, to me.

I think I'd try this on wings. Some of the best wings I've had are hot, sweet, and sticky.

Nice, Pex.

This is a nice sauce.  The hab flavor comes at you right away and the heat is very nice.  Had some of some chicken tacos yesterday and it was awesome!  Thanks for posting the review JayT.

Cracked open my bottle today. The first thing that hit me was the very concentrated smell of habanero.

I proceeded to drizzle some across my first egg taquito. What grabbed my attention there was a very nice color that contrasted nicely with the egg. It really pops. Then the fact that the sauce held it shape nicely. It looked like a really refined sauce you see drizzled over the food and around the plate on Master Chef.

Next up I rolled my taquito back up and chowed down.

The habanero flavor and smell is really overwhelming if you're into that sort of thing. I'm a total newb when it comes to anything other than the corporate creations like Tobasco so I'm used to the vinegar taste and may actually like it. NONE of that here.

At first there was very little heat. Then slowly and surely it crept up like a fine cannabis. Eventually the heat covered my entire tongue and mostly stayed there. Perfect. At that point I rated it equal to Tobasco on my personal scoville scale.

Then I unrolled the second taquito, drizzled some on and dug in.

This immediately added to the heat, which had leveled off and it began a faster creep which eventually ended with the entire upper surface of my tongue at  about a 5 on my scale.

It took about 5 minutes before the heat started subsiding.

I never need to eat or drink anything to dash the flames any. Although I did wonder for a few seconds if I was going to need something. It was just a nice even heat full of habanero flavor and smell.

All in all its a wonderful sauce. Like the original reviewer stated there are *some* seeds in it. Not many and it's not that big a deal to me although I too, would like to see them filtered out for aesthetic reasons.

All together I used maybe a teaspoon maybe slightly more of this sauce across two egg taquitos. I will be slightly wary of using more than that straight on anything.

Great review Jay. This one sounds good, but not for me. I am more interested in the hab sauces that use fruit. I really like the use of mango.

Back