smokers Offset Smoker Temps

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Hey Bam, for offset smokers, how do you get a better temperature in the main chamber when you've got a real hot fire going in the box, but the main barrel is at 200 or lower? Thanks!

PS. I've heard the welding blanket answer, but looking for others.

PPS. Why lower the chimney to grate level, so the smoke escapes but the good heat (at the top, since heat rises ) doesn't?

thehotpepper.com said:
Hey Bam, for offset smokers, how do you get a better temperature in the main chamber when you've got a real hot fire going in the box, but the main barrel is at 200 or lower? Thanks!

PS. I've heard the welding blanket answer, but looking for others.

PPS. Why lower the chimney to grate level, so the smoke escapes but the good heat (at the top, since heat rises ) doesn't?

tuning plates will help you get a even temp across the grates

you bring down the chimney because it creates what is called "flow".. yes heat does rise but lowering the chimney makes the smoke flow across your meat instead of straight up the chimney

once you do the mods to your offset you will notice more even heat, less fuel consumption and better heat control.. no need for a welding blanket unless the temps are outside are really cold

Perfect. Enlighten me on tuning plates (metal reflectors?). I can do the chimney mod pretty easily.

Thanks. Yeah, I've read that before, just thought I'd ask our resident BBQ guru Bam ;)

all the mods are the same on the internet, some people do things a little different but really they all accomplish the same thing... a good smoker when the mods are done.lol

Depending on how insulated your smoker is you could try seasoning the main barrel of the smoker... I know this is often debated but I tend to believe it helps with less expensive thin steel wall smokers. a nice thick layer of seasoning on the main chamber walls will give a natural insulation that should also help boost the heat... basically looking for a nice build up of carbon seasoning like a well used cast iron pan, on the inner walls.. wipe them clean then rub with a thin layer of oil or spray of pam every once and awhile and you will build up a nice bit of seasoned insulation.

It's well seasoned already ;)
I also have it pretty air tight due to some modding I did during assembly.

If you have a Chargriller with side fire box I wouldnt bother with tuning plates - Is there a vent installed between the box and the main cooking area -- I ask because a friend of mine coverted his from just the grill and added the fire box but left the vent plate in -- Are you allowing enough air to flow thru the fire box? I can get my main cooking area to about 300-325 in the first hour before I vent it back to 225-250 and close the stack. But do the stack mod which is very easy

I usually cook for myself so I do indirect in the main chamber and don't even bother with the firebox. Heck, works great. For firebox smoking I just need to tweak it and figure things out. I get great flow, the chimney pumps out plenty of thick smoke, but the temp doesn't get where I want it. The next mod I do will be the stack lowering. Will update!

thehotpepper.com said:
I usually cook for myself so I do indirect in the main chamber and don't even bother with the firebox. Heck, works great. For firebox smoking I just need to tweak it and figure things out. I get great flow, the chimney pumps out plenty of thick smoke, but the temp doesn't get where I want it. The next mod I do will be the stack lowering. Will update!

or you could do some MAJOR tweaking and turn it into a reverse flow model..lol

I realize this is preference, but when you lower your stack, do you go right to the grate, or leave 2 inches so you can fit the end of a slab under there?

thehotpepper.com said:
I realize this is preference, but when you lower your stack, do you go right to the grate, or leave 2 inches so you can fit the end of a slab under there?

i personally would leave a couple of inches, my theory is if the stack is lowered right to the grate, no smoke is going to touch the meat, it is going to find the easiest way out of the cooker... couple of inches above lets it flow over the meat..this is just my opinion and it could be wrong...lol

BamsBBQ said:
i personally would leave a couple of inches, my theory is if the stack is lowered right to the grate, no smoke is going to touch the meat, it is going to find the easiest way out of the cooker... couple of inches above lets it flow over the meat..this is just my opinion and it could be wrong...lol
I figured the same thing pretty much. The reason I asked is most mod sites say lower to grate level. I'm going to do lower to top of meat level lol ;)

I have a link to a great thread on pretty good free BBQ forum. The guy mods a Brinkmann SnP for an extra shelf, lower smokestack, tuning plates and a heat deflector, explains all procedures, has incredible photos. I only have the intact link, I don't know how to make it work on cue, like on the word "HERE". I guess I'm asking permission to link to a different forum...
kitch

Once my fire is stabilized, I open the firebox air inlet and shut down the
stack outlet some, lets the fire burn hot enough to keep your temp around 250 while letting the smoke "linger" in the cooking chamber. I also stack my charcoal and wood and top light it for a longer burn.

ButchT

Tigahb8 said:
Once my fire is stabilized, I open the firebox air inlet and shut down the
stack outlet some, lets the fire burn hot enough to keep your temp around 250 while letting the smoke "linger" in the cooking chamber. I also stack my charcoal and wood and top light it for a longer burn.

ButchT

if you control your temps my the exhaust you will get lots of creosite build up...makes the food really taste not so good after awhile..lol

exhaust stacks wide open, control with fresh air intake

Offset users, this covers specifically Brinkmann SnP models--not clamshell as far as second shelf...but can be adapted to New Braunfels OK Joes, CharBroil, virually any offset horiz. smoker. I've been trying to get these guys to make this a "sticky", a top of the heap thread...
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943&highlight=project+brinkman

daveK, phoenix.
It was hotter here than there today. I don't care where you are. Well, mostly. We got a lot of posters on the Sun? Death Valley? Sahara Desert?

Speaking of offset smoker temps...I put this under the chipotle thread, but it belongs here...
Just for giggles, I stuck my thermometer's temp probe into the smoker--just sittin' there in the back yard. Over 125 in seconds--OK, started at about 110...but peaked at 149 a few minutes later. I coulda had it over 200 with one briquette.
Shoot, I should've tried that! Rats. It's gonna be chilly next weekend. Won't even reach 109...
dk
it is dry though...

Back