• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Oh no! Aphids!!!!

I don't know how they got on my young plants, but today I noticed an infestation of these little pale green or whitish insects all over my young pepper plants. We had a fruit fly problem a few days ago with one of my wife's stupid house plants, and I initially thought these were somehow related to them, but they look like aphids.

What can I get at Ace or Loews that will kill these little fckers fast?

Neem, Pyrethrins (spelling) or Safer Soap. A good blast with water can knock those little baddies off your plant too. I forget what its called but there is a product made from crushed sea shells that can be used to dust the plants too.

Show them no mercy!

Novacastrian said:
Neem, Pyrethrins (spelling) or Safer Soap. A good blast with water can knock those little baddies off your plant too. I forget what its called but there is a product made from crushed sea shells that can be used to dust the plants too.

Show them no mercy!

They're way too small for a blast of water, no?

IMG_1623.jpg

You can crush the little buggers with your fingers if you want. Plants that small shouldn't take too long. Pay careful attention to the underside of the leaves. You'll know their aphids for sure if your fingers get sticky eh eh.:lol:

After that give the plants and the soil a good spraying with soapy water, couple of drops of soap to a cup of water or so. Won't hurt the plants and should cause the aphids to suffocate. Keep an eye on the plants as they'll be back in a few days--new eggs hatching. Just repeat as necessary until they stop showing up. Good luck.

Be careful! I used this stuff called miteX to get rid of a few aphids and white flies I had on one of my Rocotos. It burned all the leaves. It said it was safe and natural but my plant didn't agree. It lived through it, but if it was a less hardy plant it probably would have withered up and died. Now I just use 1 part dish soap to about 20 to 30 parts luke warm water and use a small mister/sprayer and spray right where the bulk of them are. Or you can buy a bucket of ladybugs and let the all go in your house. We buy those at ACE for the back yard.

scarpetti said:
Be careful! I used this stuff called miteX to get rid of a few aphids and white flies I had on one of my Rocotos. It burned all the leaves. It said it was safe and natural but my plant didn't agree. It lived through it, but if it was a less hardy plant it probably would have withered up and died. Now I just use 1 part dish soap to about 20 to 30 parts luke warm water and use a small mister/sprayer and spray right where the bulk of them are. Or you can buy a bucket of ladybugs and let the all go in your house. We buy those at ACE for the back yard.

they sell ladybugs at ACE?? I wouldn't let them in the house, but just asking. (for the yard)

I don't think they were aphids. When some got bigger they looked like they had wings. Remember there was a fruit (or was it white?) fly problem from one of the ol' battle ax's house plants. Anyway, so far dribbling some dish soapy water on them has killed most of 'em. I have to get an empty spray bottle.

I made up a garlic and chilli spray the other day. I was a bit worried if it might hurt them cos i used 2 spoonfuls of Bhut Jolokia powder in it! It worked though and the plants are fine..pheewww

Back