Ohio May Increase "Cottage Foods" list

This is an e-mail message I received. OH is considering allowing more foods, including Pepper seasonings as a "cottage food" meaning special licenses and permits are not needed.

The message:

Happy spring! It has been a long time coming, but I’m happy it is here at last.

I know everyone is very busy getting ready for your market season. We have been busy here, also.
As many of you know we have been hoping to expand the list of foods that are included under our “cottage foods” law.
A cottage food cannot be a potentially hazardous food.
Cottage food products currently listed are:
(1) Non-potentially hazardous bakery products
(2) Jams
(3) Jellies
(4) Candy
(5) Fruit butters

We have added the following foods to the list:
(6) Granola, granola bars, granola bars dipped in candy
(7) Popcorn, flavored popcorn, kettle corn, popcorn balls, caramel corn
(8) Unfilled, baked donuts
(9) Waffle cones
(10) Pizzelles
(11) Dry cereal and nut snack mixes with seasonings
(12) Roasted coffee, whole beans or ground
(13) Dry baking mixes in a jar, including cookie mix in a jar
(14) Dry herbs and herb blends
(15) Dry seasoning blends
(16) Dry tea blends

Cottage food industry rules are in our administrative rules 901:3-20-01 through -05.

You can visit the site at, http://www.registerofohio.state.oh.us/index.jsp, from there go to “Public Hearing Date” and put the May 13th, 2009 date.

This will get you the information in its entirety.

We are very excited to expand the list of products that can be produced under the Cottage Food Rules. We would like to invite you to attend the public hearing. As a matter of fact we would love to have your show of support here on Wednesday May 13, 2009 at 8:30 a.m., in Hearing Room 133 (seminar “B”) of the Bromfield Administration Building, Ohio Department of Agriculture, 8995 East Main Street, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-3399.

As always, spread the good word!

Thank you for your continued support of Ohio agriculture.

Patti

Mike

This is good news for you, and Dyce51, who I know wants to make more than jelly.

You guys should get behind this. Go to the hearing with signed petitions for the change.

That is a great idea THP. Does anyone know how to start a petition for this sort of thing? I would love to start selling some of my stuff too and everyone that I have shared my products with, keeps saying that I need to market them. But, I didn't want all of the headaches. This new proposal would making things easier.

Pepperfreak,

>> Any person who wishes to present his position, arguments, or
contentions in writing, other than at the public hearing, may do so
by either mailing his or her written comments to the Ohio
Department of Agriculture, c/o Legal Section, 8995 East Main Street,
Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068; or by transmitting by facsimile at (614)
995-4585. Written comments sent by mail shall be postmarked no
later than the day of the hearing. Written comments transmitted by
facsimile shall be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day of the
hearing.

Dyce,

I wish they would make it easier but I understand the risks. I can sell Green Sausage or Roma tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeno or anaheim peppers, onions, cilantro and cumin individually, but not salsa. Although, I wonder if I can mix the ingredients on premise and as long as I don't seal the jar, perhaps sell it???

Mike

Hell I'm still waiting for an answer from the ODA about making Sour Apple Habanero Jelly.....They don't know if it can be considered a "Cottage Food" or not becausw of the acids.....I've been getting the run around for over a month now.......If this does pass I can begin selling my Dry Rubs then......Oh ya only in Ohio though.. I asked the ODA about online sales and they said absolutly NOT....GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR toooooo much friggin red tape!!!!

An update from Christie:

Hello All,

Just a quick reminder about the upcoming hearing at ODA about the proposed expansion of cottage foods. Remember that you will not be able to testify in person, but can send letters in advance. Probably need to get that to them today or tomorrow.
May 13 - 8:30 AM - Public Hearing at ODA to Review Cottage Food Law (For directions to ODA - http://www.agri.ohio.gov/directions.aspx )

There has been some discussion about: ORC Chapter 913.01 exempts tomatoes and tomato based products that have a specified pH of lower than 4.7 and a water activity level lower than 0.85.

Perhaps it is legal to sell hot sauces if they are tomato based???

Mike

I know that your post on updated cottage food laws in Ohio is over a year old, but have the laws been updated to allow home hot sauce bottling? Just wondering. Thanks.

MIH,

AFAIK, processed foods, as opposed to blended one, still need to be fixed in a certified kitchen. IMO, I don't see nor I do really want this to change. Even with low pH preparations, there can be variances in the acidity of the ingredients - I know yellow and white tomato tomato juice needs to be processed differently to be good.

Ohio seems to have a good communication system with growers who sell at Farmers Markets but I have not seen a definitive answer to your question. If I hear anything, I will post it.

Mike

Back