• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OhioGrown 2014, second time around, 4-6-14 update.

well, it's another year, and I promise this year to add weekly updates until the end of the season. I drifted off mid-summer last year and never showed any finished pods, plants, sauces, powders or anything! So, , , I started my super hots this afternoon after shoveling 4 inches of snow off my driveway. No overwinters this year, just seeds. I planted 15 White Ghost, 10 7 Pod Congo, and 5 each of the following: 7 Pod Orange, Large Yellow, White, Yellow Brain Strain, 5 Butch T's, and 5 Large Bell Peppers (as an experiment). All my seeds came from pepperlover.com. Started in peat pots, inside, with a heat mat and 7 inch humidity dome. Here's ground zero:
100_2857_zpsd12f64e0.jpg

I was more interested in insulating my grow "box", the reflective side was an added bonus. It was kinda a pain to cut, it got Styrofoam all over the place.

thanks jeff, you know as well as I do how hard this winter's been here in Ohio. Looks like we might finally be out of the single digit lows now, and getting into the 50's and 60's during the day...

I think spring is almost here. This upcoming week the temps are hovering in mid 50's, and even a day in the mid 60's. And now the pics. This first one is my tallest Butch T, It's about 15 inches so far.
3-27-145_zps4de89b62.jpg

And this next one is all 3 of my Butch T's together. The smaller two are about a month behind the big one:

3-27-1414_zps502a4a35.jpg

Here's a side shot of the smaller Butch T. At only 6 or 7 inches, its a very compact little bush, with four thick branches:

3-27-1417_zpsf339948d.jpg

And one shot of the same plant from above:

3-27-1415_zpsfa066a13.jpg

Here's my two best 7 Pod White, both about 15 inches tall:

3-27-144_zpsc729ed6a.jpg

Here's a 7 Pod Orange, probably about 12 inches tall:

3-27-143_zpsc0d9e81e.jpg

Here's what's left in the grow room, mostly Jalapenos, White Ghosts, and my cucumbers and Roma tomatoes in the foreground:

3-27-148_zps61b529fa.jpg

This is my table in my woodshop. I moved 24 of the bigger plants out onto it about a month ago. They were getting too big in the growroom, and the extra lights were making it too hot in there as well:

3-27-1410_zpsd3a3db69.jpg

Here's the last of the plants, 14 of them, on my workbench, mainly Jalapenos, 7 Pod Congo:

3-27-1411_zps22dfcb2b.jpg

And finally, here's some ingredients that are going into my compost tea, tomorrow morning before work. It should make it ready about Saturday afternoon sometime:

3-27-1413_zpsf5635497.jpg

So all in all, still going pretty decent. First batch of compost tea this weekend. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get out and till my garden, and add some more stuff to it. Thanks for looking again. peace....

Plants all look great. How do you like those 5.5" pots? I bought 24 of them this year to fill out 3 trays. So far I love them. Perfect size for the big plants that are too big for 4" pots and easier to organize and move around than the 1 gallon pots.

thanks guys. Jeff, I really like the 5.5" pots. Like you said, 8 to a tray, easy to organize and move around as well. I'm not sure i'll ever be able to get away from the 1 gallon pots. Some of my bigger plants in them already have roots coming out the bottom like crazy.

well, today I gave everything a nice big soak with my compost tea. I accidentally doubled the Fish Fertz in it, but it was only 2 tablespoon, so it shouldn't matter much. It had a nice head of foam on it. Let's hope it irons out their little deficits here and there, and keeps them healthy for another 6 weeks or so.

Thanks Devv, I think next year i'll start them a month later than I did this year. I still have about 6 weeks or so before I can plant out, and they're getting too root-bound, and big, and out of control. . . .

10 days later, lots of growth still. Here's my 21 inch Butch T:

4-6-145_zps4666deb6.jpg

And here's a 16 inch Jalapeno plant:

4-6-1413_zps96734039.jpg

Here's a shorter Jalapeno plant with about 6 peppers on it so far:

4-6-141_zps79864280.jpg

And one last group shot of my tallest ones, That's my 21 inch Butch T on the right, and a couple 7 Pod Congos next to it. . .

4-6-146_zps5df536aa.jpg

I was able to till my garden today, finally worked in some of the chicken and horse manure from last fall. There was worms everywhere in there from all the kitchen scraps I've been burying all fall, winter and spring. Thanks for checking it out again. Can't wait to get them out in the sun soon. . .

Back