• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense oily jolokia

hi guys, i'm new here :)

several month ago i bought some jolokia seeds from ebay... 1 out of 25 seeds germinated :cry: , today i pick the only pod from my plant, although the pod was not fully matured but i'm extremely curious to taste it :) once i opened the pod, the pod was very oily, i took some oil from the pod and tasted some of it with the tip of my tongue... and... :fire: :mouthonfire: i end up running searching for milk and end up with 2 bottle 2 liter ice cold milk...

anyway, is it normal for jolokia to produce some good amount of oil? here is the pic...

IMG_5011.jpg

Welcome!
I find pods have more liquid in them during a hot period, and although the liquid is very hot I believe its a lot of moisture content mixing up with some chile oils. To be realistic, its not really even close to 16 million SHU pure cap.

For even more oil, try roasting the chiles!

Do you have a full pod pic. What type of jolokia(chile) is it supposed to be?

To be realistic, its not really even close to 16 million SHU pure cap

well i wasn't really referring it to just like pure cap stuff like from extracts. but it's as close to it as you can get while being unprocessed and whatnot. i hope you get what i'm tryin to say.

this is the full pod pic :) since this is my first time growing jolokia, i have no idea what my jolokia supposed to be... but the seed was bought from an ebay seller, mazaltov73... maybe next time i'll try to collect the oil and dehydrate it :)

IMG_4997.jpg

those look a lot like a dorset naga or a naga morich to me. but i could be wrong. got any more pods? how about pix of the plant itself? =D

bought seeds from mazaltov too last year. bought habanero seeds from him. none of his white bullet hab seeds germinated though.

I'm not sure what type of pepper(jolokia) you have, especially if you bought seeds off e-bay. Its obviously a C. chinense but it doesn't really look like a naga or bhut although its difficult to tell from just 1 pod.
According to the E-bay site, they are Bhut Jolokias, but even the pics on E-bay look a little off to me
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BHUT-JOLOKIA-WORLDS-HOTTEST-PEPPER-25-SEEDS-/320665576357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa92863a5

IMG_4656.jpg

the pod look a little bit short compare to the one showed in http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/

image591.jpg

sadly this is the only pod that survive, the other one (next pic) fell down after i accidentally sprayed it with water :(

IMG_4939.jpg

congrats in growing a super hot pepper plant. :)
i would love to hear your story on how and what were the problems that u faced when growing this super hot in your region.

Ive got some white bullet hab seeds from my plants I can share if you want, had them germinate too

i'd like to take you up on that offer. =D got stuff to trade for 'em , if you want.

congrats in growing a super hot pepper plant. :)
i would love to hear your story on how and what were the problems that u faced when growing this super hot in your region.

surprisingly my jolokia did not give me any problem once germinated :) no specific method was used, after the seed germinated, the plant was transfered into 12x12inch polibag :)

Back