• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

OK, this is new...

I discovered something weird on one of my plants today that I've never encountered before....

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

Any ideas? I'm really not feeling good about that mottling!

When it first started happening on this plant, I thought it was just "the usual" (*sigh* - broad mites have got yet another plant) but on closer inspection, the damage is definitely different.

For one, mites always cause my new growth to curl down, not up. Like this:

IMG_5810.jpg

And secondly, while it does look like it is the new growth that is mainly affected, some of the older leaves are showing signs too (and in my experience with broad mites, this is something very uncommon - they appear to suck the life out of the new growth then move on to the next plant).

ive had the same thing happen to a couple of my plants then after a few weeks the came good i would love to here too if some one knows why it happens

ive had the same thing happen to a couple of my plants then after a few weeks the came good i would love to here too if some one knows why it happens
Interesting... :think:

Did you fertilize or anything while the problem was occurring? If not, and the plants still came good, that should rule out a deficiency - at least in theory.

Maybe we are dealing with an overdose? Did you fertilize just prior to the problem occurring? That might explain why the problem went away on it's own - once the soil was either "flushed" a few times or once the fertilizer weakened.

Just trying to troubleshoot a little! :lol:

the fert i use is called triple boost you can get it from bunnings i was also using another type but cant remember the name so i just stick with triple boost

I would stop adding any nutes and start flushing with water to remove excess nutes and hope that it turns for the better and doesnt burn out.

Simple they are American broad mites not the upside down ones from down under.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

May be viral a number of viruses infect peppers including Cucumber mosaic, Tobacco mosaic, tobacco etch, potato virus Y, and alfalfa mosaic. Symptoms include leaf mottling, puckering, and distortion; deformed fruit and stunted plants.

May be viral a number of viruses infect peppers including Cucumber mosaic, Tobacco mosaic, tobacco etch, potato virus Y, and alfalfa mosaic. Symptoms include leaf mottling, puckering, and distortion; deformed fruit and stunted plants.
Yes, that was one of my first guesses, but I didn't want to pay my thought any attention! :lol:

The plant has actually grown quite well up until now and I haven't seen any deformity of fruit as of yet - but then again, the problem has just started so I guess that it's still too early to tell.

My first instinct was mites too then fert burn Gas. Sorry for the lack of help. What have you done to correct it? How many plants are effected?

I'm thinking I would pull a couple of them off to the side, treat one for mites and then flush the heck out of the other one. See if anything clears up. Wish I could come up with something better. Best of luck to you man.

My first instinct was mites too then fert burn Gas. Sorry for the lack of help. What have you done to correct it? How many plants are effected?

I'm thinking I would pull a couple of them off to the side, treat one for mites and then flush the heck out of the other one. See if anything clears up. Wish I could come up with something better. Best of luck to you man.
At the moment, it's just the one plant, and I haven't done anything to correct it as of yet, 'cause I don't know what I'm treating for! :lol:

Yeah, fert burn is something else I've been considering, but the thing is, while I have been using a slow-release fert (I have heard they can be unpredictable), the last time I fertilized was easily over a month ago now, plus it's the same fertilizer I have always used and have never seen this before. It is also an organic fertilizer made up of blood, bone, manure, fish and seaweed - something I am assuming would not be as harsh as more not-so-natural fertilizers? :think:

Not too worried what happens to the plant really as the season is now over (although, I was hoping to keep it as a test specimen to see how it fares over winter), but really hoping I figure it out in case it happens in the future!

my plants used to get it a lot. back when i grew in pots. then i started growing in regular old soil on the ground. they loved and outgrew the problem.

they fought it off and grew a lot better.

that'll stunt them a for like 3 months or so if you don't fix it. and then they die from exhaustion from fighting it off.

Back