• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Okay I need help :/

I've searched the forum on indoor growing several times....I've even went to Home Depot but no one there seems to know anything about growing indoors

I have my pots,soil,seed starting heating mat

But I don't know what kind of lights I need to grow indoors....Or how much to expect to spend on them either :(

If anyone can help me out that'd be wonderful.

PS - Sorry for making ALMOST the same topic a couple times in the last month or so :(
PS 2 - Also wondering if it'd be a good idea to buy Jalapeno,Sweet Banana,Cayenne,Giant Jalapeno plants from Home Depot and grow them indoors once I figure out the light problem.

yea home depot people most likely wont know, hit up your local hydro shop, in the mean time check this link out

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25876-article-light-101/

so much good info.

Thanks a bunch! :) That cleared up alot of my questions :) Now I just gotta find WHERE in my apartment would be the best room to grow lol :P Maybe underneath my kitchen table? :P lol

How much did the T8's cost?

I have alot of Superhot seeds ready I justt need this light setup confusion out of the way :(

well i got a 4 foot long by 2 foot light at lowes for 35 bucks. sad thing is, is that i had to wire it myself took me about 90 minutes 2 wire 3 lucky i had the wire and all. the light i got sunshine lights try to get a very high lumens output 6500 would be awesome! i only have 5000 mixed with 4100 lumens i had 2 sunshine and 2 cool blue. in all its about 50 bucks for a nice light. but try to get a T5 if possible even better!

Not to sound stupid but do I need two different types of light to start them?

I heard I need Blue/White and then red when they start to flower...How do I know what lights cover this?...Is there a type of light that covers both spectrums so I dont have to switch?

I am reading this on a site

"If you are using fluorescent grow lights, then you can easily swap out your growing bulb or tube from the white/blue type to the red spectrum type economically using the same grow light fixture. LED growing fixtures also are available with blue and red LEDs, or a mixture of both types to create a more all round light for growing plants."

Is this true? Can I use both types of lighting throughout the plants life?

Growing indoors is very rewarding, but takes quit a bit of planning to do it correctly and safely to avoid burning down your house. Although you can grow huge plants in soil with a single light you will increase your yield substantially if you employ some type of hydro into the mix.

I would start off the plants in a 400 watt MH setup and move over to a 1000 HPS when they start fruiting.

I found to get maximum yield for a large Pepper plant you need at least 30k LUX.

LUX = Total Lumens ÷ Area in Square Meters.

I'm my previous grow room I had an Eye Hortilux 400 HPS (LU400S/HTL/EN) that put out 55,000 lumens so at 45 square feet i'm getting a LUX of 13,157.89 to my plants as they are growing. Once ready the 1000 watt HPS LU1000B/HTL/EN that puts out 145,000 lumens is going to give me 34,689 LUX.

The key is both the bulbs listed above are full spectrum bulbs that covers a wide range of light and more importantly provides PAR light specific to fruiting peppers.

You also want to make sure your humidity is around 60% to avoid pollen drop.

You can also consider things like c02 injection, foliar feeding, to increase the yield, but if your not doing hydro I would stray against it.

Good luck!

They are pretty cheap as well at my local home depot :) So I think I decided on the lights I'll need

Now I just need to make myself a little greenhouse

I have a greenhouse if you need help with plans ill help you! i paid 400 for mine and its
12'x24' the plastic was 200 i have enough to last me 12 years and it can be heated for an extra 200 bucks!

Yes...I cannot grow outside.I live in an apartment and I am sure i'd need one for the pollination process right? Or do I not need one?

or a tooth brush. anything will work. SO a greenhouse is unnecessary. if you want to keep them isolated, maybe make small closed off greenhouses for like 5 bucks or less a piece!

Back