• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Old vitamin fertilizer?

So I was hoping if anyone could shed light on whether old vitamins could be crushed up and put in the compost pile. Could I do that?

I dont see a problem. Youd have to have a few cases of them to make an impact. 3 or 4 or probably 10 bottles of centrum isnt going to do anything but break down and feed the microbes. The B is probably really good for it....

the b, B....

Go for it. Vitamins are a neccessity for plants, if you are not using them your plants will be happy to not let them go to waste.

Shouldn't hurt, when we take vitamins, the excess is just excreted out when we go to the bath room. Besides most vitamins only have micrograms of the vitamins in them.. You may want to dissolve them first in some hot water. If you dump a bottle of them in your compose pile, they may just form a big clumb and take forever to dissolve do to all the various powders used to make
them tablets. Let us know how yur experiment turns out.....

I haven't used a complete vitamin supplement that was intended for human consumption. What I have done and continue to do is use mineral supplements. For instance when a CVS or other Pharmacy has a buy one get one free Vitamin sale I might pick up a Cacium/Magnesium supplement, a pure potassium supplement or bone meal tablets. I've done this for countless years with very good results. What i do is this. If its a capsule your all set. You just empty the contents out of the capsule. It its a tablet then what I do is put a few in a coffee grinder I use and powder them down to a fine consistency. Now you have to suspend them for easy application purposes. What I do then is take the powder, from the capsule or the ground down tablet and add it to my blender with a good amount of water. I then feed this to whatever plant seems to need the added minerals. The results: Excellent!!! Its a quick cure that works wonders. Also minerals designed for human consumption tend to have a better pharmaceutical grade and in my humble opinion------Work Great.

here is my experiment in my glog with 2 plants using DIETARY SUPPLEMENT and CENTRUM SILVER its on the bottom page

http://thehotpepper....de/page__st__40

and here is the roots from march 15 to april 26

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28727-my-first-noob-glog-2012-budding-flowering-mode/page__st__100

Back