• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Older Leaves Turning Light Green to Yellow

Hey you all!  I am new to this and you helped me with some questions early on but now my little Carolina Reapers are outside in bigger pots with some loose soil that is supposed to keep me from over watering them (I water them about twice a week until it runs out of the bottom of all the pots).

I've been concerned because of the heat down here in New Orleans - it's been an ambient 95-100F for weeks now and they get direct sun for most of the day with some shade for an hour or so in the morning and before sunset.

I noticed the older growth leaves are turning a lighter yellowish, a little funky and falling off.  Is that normal for this type of pepper?

Two pic attached (sorry about the focus).

http://prntscr.com/86hq8b

http://prntscr.com/86hqkq

Are you watering twice a week because they look thirsty, or just doing it? Yellow leaves can be a sign of over water as well.. might have nothing to do with your problem, but they only need water when they go "limp"

Thanks you all. It might actually be overwatering.  I put them in some of this soil (see pic) when I went to larger pots because I figured since I am so horrible with plants it would protect the litle guys from me.  I had them in little 16 oz cups with that tightly packed seedling soil and when I replanted them I just left that soil intact around the roots so maybe that is holding too much moisture?  I figured the loose moisture control soil would help to wick away some of the extra moisture out of that primary root area in the middle.

I haven't added any fertilizer other than what comes in the soil (used one small dose of the stuff in that little green bottle a couple months ago but decided against using more).

LordHill, I am watering them twice weekly because I have no idea what I'm doing  :|

http://prntscr.com/86k5eu

They are pretty fool proof. Basically if they are droopy and look thirsty, then I give them a good deep watering. With your heat it probably needs it more often than alot of places. I just watered today.. I wish I would have took a pic of a "thirsty" pepper. Basically the leaves hang down and feel limp. Some people prefer to lift their pots up. You get use to feeling the different weight between freshly watered and needing it soon.

Aside from that at the growing stage some nitrogen fertalizer won't hurt. Nitrogen promotes plant growth. Fish Emulsion is a safe bet. It works, but isnt too strong so ya dont have to worry about burning the plants. A little slow release bone meal is a safe bet as well.

Most people here (including myself) will recommend you away from miracle grow. For flowers and landscaping sure.. For food, there are better options. Browse the forums here, search for fert posts. Lots of good info from good people. Old posts are as good for info as todays posts. Not alot has changed over the years lol

I second staying away from miracle grow...If you can transplant them, into something more suitable, I would. You still have time, also, plants grow slow and so should your adjustments be, slow and steady. The yellow leaves are probably not coming back, so focus on the new growth, which from what I see looks ok. As Lordhill mentioned, get used to lifting your pots and gauging water level by weight. If these were started indoors, acclimate them slowly to direct sunlight (hardening off). Pretty much universal advise for fruiting shrubs/vines. Fresh soil is already fortified with enough fertilizers (miracle grow too much and other junk 'wetting agents')....Don't fertilize until at least 30 days with fresh soil and go half strength to start every 10 days to 2 weeks.

IMG_1752.jpg

Here is an example of a pepper that is ready for a watering

*Picture is from google image search, I hope its ok that I put it here

Back