• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Oldest seeds you’ve ever germinated?

So old, I can't remember. Ohh, you meant the seeds, lol. Ten years old is pretty doable. Over that, it gets sketchy. I'll be giving 1993 seeds a shot here in a little bit. Ya never know, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
I grew Aji Rosita and Aji Margariteno from 2015 seeds last year. I was pleasantly surprised when I got 12/12 germination on those 8 year old seeds. In fact, the Aji Rositas were the very first variety of my 2023 season to pop (in only 6 days). And all 12 of the old seeds had germinated by day 16. I did keep those seeds stored in ziploc baggies in the fridge for a good part of those 8 years. That may have helped my results, but I can't know that for sure. Anyway, I think those are the oldest pepper seeds that I have tried to germinate so far.

So old, I can't remember. Ohh, you meant the seeds, lol. Ten years old is pretty doable. Over that, it gets sketchy. I'll be giving 1993 seeds a shot here in a little bit. Ya never know, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I found a bag from probably from 2015- 2016 maybe with a bunch of different varieties of seeds I had saved from what I was growing. One in particular I hope germinates is Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero, also dropped some 7 pot primo, Monster Naga, White Ghost Hab ( what I called it, was supposed to be ghost but looked like hab, if it’s the one I think it was juicy)

Last edited:
I grew Aji Rosita and Aji Margariteno from 2015 seeds last year. I was pleasantly surprised when I got 12/12 germination on those 8 year old seeds. In fact, the Aji Rositas were the very first variety of my 2023 season to pop (in only 6 days). And all 12 of the old seeds had germinated by day 16. I did keep those seeds stored in ziploc baggies in the fridge for a good part of those 8 years. That may have helped my results, but I can't know that for sure. Anyway, I think those are the oldest pepper seeds that I have tried to germinate so far.
Nice, mine were in ziplocks, but in my pantry, curious to see what happens.

Last edited:
Back