OMG Turn Effing Red Already!!!

What i would do is pick one. once  i picked one from a plant with all unripe pods overnight 1 fully ripend sometimes you have to let the plant know its time lol then it will help her get it going @

ntenny said:
Hmm, they're from the CAR, right? So they should understand French. I have this vision of my future self, a cranky old man standing out in the yard in pajamas, terrorizing the neighbors by screaming at the plants in bad schoolboy French. I think this is a worthwhile goal!
-NT
Yeah, plus you need about 48 cats stilting around you :D

108Mob said:
What i would do is pick one. once  i picked one from a plant with all unripe pods overnight 1 fully ripend sometimes you have to let the plant know its time lol then it will help her get it going @
I'm no scientist, but this makes a lot of sense. If the plant perceives it's seeds are being eaten, it might stimulate it to start ripening so the seeds would be ready for distribution. To carry it a step further, nearby plants might also recieve the chemical signals and may start to ripen as well. I have suspected my tomatoes have been telling each other to ripen for a while. Any one else watch that plant special on Nature?

I know I've heard it's true.

Found some stuff some guys out of NM did.

"
Fruit Load. The maximum weight of fruits that a fruiting plant can bear is known as its fruit load. The fruit load of each pepper plant is dependent on a number of considerations including stem size, amount of foliage, and the extent of the root system. When the plant achieves its fruit load, it ceases flowering. Thus a plant will stop producing fruit even though there may be a month or more left in the growing season.
The pepper gardener can increase the yield of plants by picking pods in their largest immature green form. The plant will not have to bear the weight of the pods removed, will continue flowering and setting fruit throughout the remainder of the season, and the total weight of pods produced by each plant will be greater.
However, the technique of periodic harvesting to increase pod yields only works in long growing seasons or with varieties having very short growing periods. In cooler climates, pepper plants may not reach their fruit load before the first killing frost, so picking pods early will not increase the total yield.  "

from: http://www.fiery-foods.com/chile-pepper-gardening/124-the-pepper-growing-season/1866-part-2-maximizing-your-pepper-pod-yield

the idea of picking one to stimulate definitely helps... my overwinters were huge and only had 1 large pepper each for about a month. I got frustrated and picked them all on fathers day, then looked a week and a half later... they each had about 20 pods that grew incredibly fast and are now HUGE just waiting to turn.

Also for forcing color change, if you clip a leaf or two to expose the pepper to sunlight they'll start changing color from the light stress.

Right there with you guys... Garden full of green and starting to second guess myself, the process, my color vision acuity...You know the drill.

Harold

spicy_echo said:
stress the plant to help turn red?
My plants must be under a great amount of stress as I am having the o[SIZE=10.5pt]pposite[/SIZE] effects with most of mine. They are all ripening before they get any size to them at all. 11/2" Orange Yellow Fatalli's, 2" Red Jalapenos, Fresno's, Pepperocini's, Anaheim's, Poblano's, Purple Bells all ripening way too soon. They look like little miniatures. I just figured it was a result of the record heat wave we have had. So yeah you want to stress out your plants just drive with them about an hour southeast to the Inland Empire. I was in the OC last week and it felt about a 20 degrees cooler. I wish I had your problem. 

SL3 said:
My plants must be under a great amount of stress as I am having the opposite effects with most of mine. They are all ripening before they get any size to them at all. 11/2" Orange Yellow Fatalli's, 2" Red Jalapenos, Fresno's, Pepperocini's, Anaheim's, Poblano's, Purple Bells all ripening way too soon. They look like little miniatures. I just figured it was a result of the record heat wave we have had. So yeah you want to stress out your plants just drive with them about an hour southeast to the Inland Empire. I was in the OC last week and it felt about a 20 degrees cooler. I wish I had your problem. 

I was thinking about trying the stress test to ripen, but knew if it worked I would just have a bunch of pods in the freezer until the end of the season. I think I will attempt some patience and let everything get nice and big and red naturally, or at least without my undo intervention.

Pepperhead said:
I'm no scientist, but this makes a lot of sense. If the plant perceives it's seeds are being eaten, it might stimulate it to start ripening so the seeds would be ready for distribution. To carry it a step further, nearby plants might also recieve the chemical signals and may start to ripen as well. I have suspected my tomatoes have been telling each other to ripen for a while. Any one else watch that plant special on Nature?

i think it does work i tryed it and picked a geen pepper like yesterday and out of nowhere a pepper is showing signs of ripening!!!!

you cant see it that goodin the picture but its turing a little orange!

I pulled one of my Prik Kee nu suans on the 7th.  Nobody else is ripening, but I've got one PK that is definately turning red and will probably be full red by the time I get home in the morning.  I'll try putting it next to something to see if the signal transfers.

I will have to look for it... did a bunch of looking for news stories on plants and peppers on a slow day at work a few weeks back and ran across an article about how plants communicate, how they have better germination rates when germinating along with different plants and how the conditions during germination of a seed affect how the seeds it will produce germinate, as well as the conditions when the pod is developing....

I'm starting to get some red the last few days... :dance:
hc1.jpg

hc2.jpg

Well it finally started. They are orange tho on my red bhuts. I do see a hint of red on one tho so im not worried
vGpFfez.jpg

And my chiltepin too
Zd7Em0m.jpg

Pepperhead said:
I know with tomatoes you can force late season ripening by taking a sharp spade, place it 6 inches away from the stem, and cut into the roots from two sides of the plant. Having the roots cut this way supposedly sends a signal to ripen the last green tomatoes. This is an end of season trick so i would not try it in July or August.

All these pictures of ripening pods are making me hungry :mope:

My serrano and hot cayenne each have one big one that has been a solid green for at least 2 weeks (impatience doesn't begin to describe it). just under a dozen new pods have started growing pretty fast over the past few days, thinking ill pick one off each to see if it helps...

Back