• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds On germination...

...would adding light from opposite sides as well as from the top be advantageous to thickening up the plant?

I'm thinking 3 x pairs of 3' fluoro tubes...:)

Light is not needed for germination but to strengthen a plant generally the more light the better. Just be aware that side lighting may produce shorter bushier plants since more light can penetrate to the lower branches

Yeah, that's what I imagined. Is it a good thing? Most people seem to shy away from legginess, so I guess to get the plant bushier is the goal?

Even with proper top lighting your plants shouldn't get leggy. A shorter bushier plant is just a matter of preference, some would rather have tall plants. Side lighting gets more difficult to apply as the plants get bigger, so most people stick with top lighting but add reflective material such as mylar in a "grow box" or "grow room"

Flat white paint is probably better than foil, but you could probably find a source for mylar, maybe even one of those emergency blankets or something

Foil needs to be perfectly flat otherwise it reflects unevenly and causes hot-spots. Flat white paint is easy to use and reflects well without the look of an illegal grow house. Mylar can be up to around 98% reflective, where foil much less.

Back