• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Once pods set(high nitrogen)?

Only give nitrogen early in life or when they need it (I.E. Yellowing leaves).

Giving it Nitrogen when it has fruit could cause them to be aborted, change taste, lowered heat, and less flowering later on.

My advice, continue feeding with more P and K than N.

Nitrogen boosts vegitative growth (ie: leaves and the plant itself). I used a somewhat heavy nitrogen mixture to grow my habs as quick as possible to a decent size, then switched it over to (less nitrogen) to begin the bloom/fruiting stage. I'm doing this in a hydro setup so the change is very noticeable, in went from zero stems for flowers/peppers to 3-4 at every node after 4 days after switching to a lower nitrogen mixture.

I start out feeding with Fish emulsions high in nitrogen plus add compost and manure which are higher in nitrogen and then feed occassionally with a balanced fertilizer like 20-20-20. Near the end of the season I'll use higher phosphorus or if I plan to overwinter the plant they get higher pottassium.
Higher nitrogen won't really make your pods bigger, but it should give you lots of vegetative growth. Just don't over-do it or your plants will be huge with no flowers or pods.

chillilover said:
I always thought it made pods bigger too? What makes pods big?

What makes pods big is usually what the plant uses to make them, which isnt Nitrogen. First of all, a plant doesnt even need a whole bunch of leaves for pod growth, because the pods themselfs act as leaves.

Things that effect pod size are:

Light - Not enough and they grow too slow but with
lots of light, they generally grow faster.

Temperature - Too low and they grow really slow, warmer
temperatures causes them to grow faster.

Water - Too little and the plant cannot cope with
excessive transperation from the leaves and as a result the
pod growth slows or haults.

Nutrients - Too much or too little can stunt the plant,
so give them higher P and K for fruit and flower development.
Magnesium and Calcium can also do wonders in addition to a
fertilizer that has micro nutrients.

Fertility - Pods generally grow only to a size needed to
accommodate the seeds, if the pollen fertility is low, seed count
will be low and pod size can suffer.

Thats pretty much all you need to worry about in respect to pod size.

Hope that helps :)

Back