• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds One seedling sprouted, but the others have not yet

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this so I hope someone will be kind enough to help me out. I have a tray of several different pepper seeds germinating. Yesterday I noticed one of my habaneros sprouted, but none of the others have. Do I need to remove that one ahead of the rest? Or should I wait for the other habaneros?

The rest are Carolina Reapers, Scotch brains, and Charlestons in case you wanted to know, but I'm expecting them to take longer than the habaneros according to the internet but I'm unsure.

Thank you!

It depends a bit on your setup.  You'll want to be sure it's getting good light soon after sprouting and you don't want to leave it under a humidity dome for too long.  But if it's getting light you don't need to be in any big hurry. More info on your setup or a picture of it would help.

I wouldn't expect a big difference in the timing of those peppers sprouting.  Most likely they'll come up in the 1 to 2 week range with proper conditions with possibly a few straggles.

Good luck with 'em! 

I got the same scenario. For future grows I'm not gonna grow hella different peppers in the same tray under the same dome that got different germ times. If half your peppers germ but the others take longer your kinda screwed with leaving the dome on, or choosing to take it off.

EDIT:
Now that i reread you post I think you have one habanero that spouted but you planted many of the same habanero? So all the same type of pepper but your worried cuz one popped but the others havent?

I may have sounded the alarm a little prematurely. One of my scotch brains is also emerging. I have several of each kind of pepper and they are each in jiffy pods, so I can remove the ones that have sprouted without disturbing the others. I guess my real question should be how long to leave them in the dome? I don't have a light for them yet but I intend to get a bulb tomorrow when I'm at the store. To provide a little context, these are growing in a dorm room with a college budget. I never stay in that room so I just keep the heat on max while I'm gone and use the heating pad if I'm staying in. So far their temps have been a constant 83ish.

I suppose I should take the ones that sprout and put them in a new tray in the light?

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_012258.jpg
    IMG_20200307_012258.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200307_012310.jpg
    IMG_20200307_012310.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 72
Seeds can be very moody as I've had them start sprouting as much as a week apart despite being from the same species.

I seem to get the fastest results by seeding straight out of the pod, though.

Out of the 4 reapers I planted 3 sprouted within a week or so of one another and the 4th was two or 3 weeks later. I actually forgot about it and then one day I saw the sprout. This sprout looks good but is soooo slow growing the others are 10x the size. All the seed were from last years harvest.

Back