• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Onion up-potting

I'm attempting to grow yellow onions from seed this year for the first time and wondering how big a container they should be in until they can go outside, which in Wisconsin is usually the first or second week of May for peppers, but maybe onions can go outside sooner?

The onions are about 4" tall right now, thinking they need to get moved soon. The tomatoes are out of hand already, as they usually are, but I know I can grow them in a fairly small containers until they go outside.

I have no idea what kind of space I should give the onions.

tomsandonions.jpg

Here's an article by a guy in Maine you might find interesting: http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/4076/how-to-grow-onions-from-seed/page/all

Great educational post... I used these instructions last year to grow Onions from seed for the first time and had great results. The only modification I made was to adjust the plant-out based on observed local conditions. I plant Scallions every year and overwinter them. When the OW Scallions start to grow their tops... that's when I transplant the Onion seedlings.

Excellent article. That guys has some great looking dirt!

I'm in zone 8b but most years we get 9a weather. We all do things differently based upon our zones and experiments...

My dirt day for onions is Jan 15th, mid 20's never have bothered them. I plant multiplying Onions and Garlic at the fall equinox and harvest Garlic in early summer.

I bought sets this year, but I've grown from seed, starting them almost 3 months before dirt day. I grew them in a 24"x6"x5"s deep plywood box.

I would say they can definitely go in the ground before the peppers. Most spring crops hit the dirt here first week in March, weather permitting, peppers I hold off an additional 2 weeks.

Have a great season!

Scott

thanks for that article geeme, that was informative.

it looks like the author just put a bunch of seeds in a small flat filled with dirt, then broke them up and moved them to small 1ish inch cells to sit until they went outside, did i read/see that right? i guess they probably don't need a whole lot of room until the bulb forms...

i really need to expand my growing knowledge to things that are less than 100k SHU :)

thanks for that article geeme, that was informative.

it looks like the author just put a bunch of seeds in a small flat filled with dirt, then broke them up and moved them to small 1ish inch cells to sit until they went outside, did i read/see that right? i guess they probably don't need a whole lot of room until the bulb forms...

i really need to expand my growing knowledge to things that are less than 100k SHU :)
You got it J... I don't bother with the small flat though. I just plant 2 or 3 seeds in each cell of a 72 cell tray. If a cell is empty, I transfer one of the extra seedlings into it to fill them all. For such skinny, whippy seedlings they have a surprisingly lot of roots though.

I would say they can definitely go in the ground before the peppers. Most spring crops hit the dirt here first week in March, weather permitting, peppers I hold off an additional 2 weeks.
Your words made me laugh just a tad. I grew up in Houston and spent roughly my first 30 years there. Never gave thought to starting seeds indoors, as it's warm enough early in the spring to start most seeds straight in the ground there. Now, however, I'm in N.E. Ohio, and let me tell you, I had noooooooo idea what a change I was in for. Sure I knew it snowed and got "colder" than Texas, but you don't really KNOW until you've lived through it. We've had snow here some years as late as June. Yes, June. And Wisconsin is further north and inland from here, so they get it even worse. Granted, June isn't average for snow, but it gives you an idea of how disparate our growing conditions can be. Onions are a good choice to grow up here because of their cold tolerance alone. Now would somebody PLEASE tell me what I'm STILL doing here???

LOL

Your words made me laugh just a tad. I grew up in Houston and spent roughly my first 30 years there. Never gave thought to starting seeds indoors, as it's warm enough early in the spring to start most seeds straight in the ground there. Now, however, I'm in N.E. Ohio, and let me tell you, I had noooooooo idea what a change I was in for. Sure I knew it snowed and got "colder" than Texas, but you don't really KNOW until you've lived through it. We've had snow here some years as late as June. Yes, June. And Wisconsin is further north and inland from here, so they get it even worse. Granted, June isn't average for snow, but it gives you an idea of how disparate our growing conditions can be. Onions are a good choice to grow up here because of their cold tolerance alone. Now would somebody PLEASE tell me what I'm STILL doing here???

LOL

Ahhh my brother lives in Vermillion Ohio, like 300 yds from lake Erie. We were there in July a few years ago, highs in the 70's. I was freezing cuz we were already 95 and up here. I start my tomatoes and peppers from seed the first week of Jan to get the jump before the heat. Gardening here is a lot different than Houston, not near as much rain. I lived there and Magnolia in the late 70's and early 80's.

Take care,

Scott

Back